Female bands/artists of the 70's

Y

yamyam

anybody remember fanny from the 70s still the best woman rock band ever

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Re: 70s girl groups

Can't believe I never heard of them. I just checked them out on You Tube. A live version of Blind Alley stuck out to me. Pretty good stuff. Thanks.

Zrocker

Reaction score

I was disapointed with a Girlschool produced by Ian Gillan.

do vagely reacall my local radio station joking about fanny haven't ever actually heard anything beyond joking around.

Laughing Gravy

Reaction score

anybody remember fanny from the 70s still the best woman rock band ever

I remember seeing Fanny support Humble Pie MANY years ago, dont remember much about them didn't see much of them we didn't waste valuable drinking time watching support bands in those days. Same goes for the time I saw 5 minutes of Queen supporting Mott The Hoople :banghead:

billtjr51

Reaction score

I went to an outdoor rock festival at Rockingham NC Motor Speedway about 1972. . It had groups like Alice Cooper, Bloodrock, Fleetwood Mac, Rory Gallagher, James Gang etc. There was an all girl group called Bertha, and they rocked! I don't guess they went to far, because I never heard them anymore. They were sure good though.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score

I went to an outdoor rock festival at Rockingham NC Motor Speedway about 1972. . It had groups like Alice Cooper, Bloodrock, Fleetwood Mac, Rory Gallagher, James Gang etc. There was an all girl group called Bertha, and they rocked! I don't guess they went to far, because I never heard them anymore. They were sure good though.

What a kick ass bill!! I guess that was Domenic Troiano on guitar for the James Gang.

billtjr51

Reaction score

What a kick ass bill!! I guess that was Domenic Troiano on guitar for the James Gang.

Joe Walsh had left then, but I didn't know who was playing for sure. It was probably Troiano because he didn't leave until 73. I remember him jumping off the top of an amp into a split, still jamming. Great concert.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Heart is the obvious answer.

Patti Smith jumps out as a female artist of the 70's.

The Slits was a female punk band of the 70's.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I've only read about Fanny but haven't heard them.

Magic, good stuff there! Heart,of course is great & I liked them a lot up until the mid 80's stuff (early 80's with Bebe Le Strange & Private Auditions were fine). I don't mind the mid 80's stuff but it was nothing compared to all of their 1970's releases.
It's cool to see you mention the Slits.I think the record I had was called Cut & I liked the song "Shop Lifting" off of it.

Patti Smith...what can I say...Amazing!. Back in the 70's I wasn't into the Punk Scene yet & all those pictures of Patti in Rock Scene magazine used to gross me out w her hairy arm pits! By the early 80's I finally understood & loved Punk(especially the 70's NYC Scene). If you haven't heard the Horses & Easter albums by Patti Smith they're "Must Haves". Amazing albums with amazing songwriting is the best way I could describe those albums.Radio Ethiopia is cool too but I really love the other 2 & I don't think a week goes by w/out me listening to something from those albums.

Of Course,my favorite is the Runaways.I can remember hearing "Cherry Bomb" on AM radio & I thought it was so full of energy. I didn't know much about them until a year or so later when I started really getting into Rock & began reading the magazines. I liked all of their albums but my favorite is actually the later one they did after Cherie Currie had left the Band.That album was titled '...And Now the Runaways' & that's a great album w/ Joan taking over the vocals.My favorite track on that album is a song written by Steve Jones & Paul Cook from the Sex Pistols called "Black Leather"

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online