Felix Cavaliere's Rascals

aerozep

Reaction score
My lady and I went to see Felix Cavaliere in Wildwood New Jersey last month and he stole the show from the Turtles and Herman's Hermits with Peter Noone.In case you don't know who Felix is .....he was and still is the voice of the Rascals.
Peter Noone was great and the Turtles were ....well the Turtles. Felix still has the great soul voice right out of the 60s.
He is touring right now with Tommy James,if he comes to your area go see both of them,you won't be dis-appointed.

:bow:
Remember:keep those model trains running.........
watch the closing doors:cheers:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Re: Felix Cavaliere show

aerozep wrote:

My lady and I went to see Felix Cavaliere in Wildwood New Jersey last month and he stole the show from the Turtles and Herman's Hermits with Peter Noone.In case you don't know who Felix is .....he was and still is the voice of the Rascals.
Peter Noone was great and the Turtles were ....well the Turtles. Felix still has the great soul voice right out of the 60s.
He is touring right now with Tommy James,if he comes to your area go see both of them,you won't be dis-appointed.

:bow:
Remember:keep those model trains running.........
watch the closing doors:cheers:

I can't imagine how the Turtles would sound nowadays - probably because I've only got the Best of the Turtles and their "It Ain't Me Babe" Album. The Turtles weren't renown well for their albums I think, but their "It Ain't Me Babe" album is very good - even if I read the CD Reissue is missing "Let Me Be" - which is another great song which some say was on the original album. It was their first album too and some of those interesting songs on it were made prior to the group becomming The Turtles!

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

I was just listening to my favorite Turtles song, "She'd Rather Be With Me". One of those songs that makes ya feel good about growing up in the 60's. The Rascals rock!

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score

There were alot of those types of bands in the day that were great. Grass Roots, Buckinghams, Turtles, and of course the Young Rascals. Anyone remember Spanky and our Gang? I need to find something from them. They had great sound.

zoose

Reaction score

Who can forget the Young Rascals - I remember them being a seminal event in the evolution of rock and roll.
The riff from You Better Run was so hard to play well that most of the garbage bands couldn't do it as a cover and either quit or learned to play.
Then they went artsy and forgot their hard driving rock roots and their career died.

Turtles on the other hand were artsy from the start and good at it - then they went to Eddie and the Phlorescent Fish because Zappa mocked them and ended their careers.

Hope they did Eleanor well.
If you were trying to please your girlfriend you went to see the Turtles - if you wanted to cheat on your girlfriend you went to the Mothers of Invention.

Emrock

Reaction score

Flo and Eddie had a long career that started in the sixties as the Turtles. The name Flo and Eddie was adopted because their record label wouldn't let them use the Turtles name any more. Have no idea what they sound like today, but the last time i saw them, they were great. I never missed them when they came to town. Howard and Mark could really sing. Just listen to the harmonies on You Showed Me. They toured with Frank Zappa and the Mothers and released the Mothers Live at the Fillmore East 1971. Zappa did nothing but help sustain their careers, not destroy them. Live, they were the best. They mixed excellent music with humor and satire.

zoose

Reaction score

I remember that time quite well.
Kaylan spoke about it in print - he'd made a remark that Zappa couldn't do music like the Turtles - and Zappa responded by doing a perfect cover of Eleanor on an album.
Then in a move reminiscent of the Beach Boys Kaylan and Volman tossed their fan base and went freakazoid with Zappa - that killed the Turtles off - and what remained of K&Vs careers.
After a crazed Mothers fan put Zappa in traction he dropped K&V - and none too kindly as I remember his words. Something to the effect of "jive" and "white" - and this after they toured with him

The Turtles fans I knew couldn't stand Flo & Eddie, and Zappa fans - can't repeat what they said here.

The Turtles could wail in their form but the one I heard from them as F&E (I believe it was "I've been born again" or somewhat) was a minor turnoff.

Emrock

Reaction score

I was a Turtles fan in the day but you couldn't beat Flo and Eddie live. Great music and humor....and they had filthy mouths. My mother would've washed their mouths out with soap!

zoose

Reaction score

No doubt about it they had stage presence - Kaylan proved that by shoving Mr.T on stage and getting him to loosen up and not get moidalized - I'm still in awe of that.

However they did one of the dumbest things I ever saw a made act do - they were the only act White Whale had, could write their own ticket with that label, fired the rest of the Turtles, flipped off White Whale (the only label that would have them) and ran off to join the Zappa circus.

Zappa didn't wreck their career, but I bet he got a chuckle out of watching them destroy it themselves.

Sorry Felix I got sidetracked - ain't even gonna start on Peter Noone.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online