Favourite trio bands

Ktulugaz1972

Reaction score
Just noticed that many of my favourite bands are a trio!!! Can you name you're favourite trio band and say why they are your favourite?

Ill start off with King's X. A perfect combination of melody, harmony, hard-rocking instrumentation and uplifting lyrics.

70sProgFan

Reaction score
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Absolute prog giants!

Other favourites were, in no particular order...

Refugee
Strife
Budgie
The Police
Rush (already mentioned)

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Robin Trower mainly his 1970s and early 1980s albums (Twice Removed From Yesterday 1972 through to Back It Up 1983).

Power trio's were actually great to listen to (the musicianship was usually a few notches higher than other pop/rock bands from the same era) and I still enjoy listening to them to the present day especially with a good electric guitar player playing either a Gibson or Fender playing through a couple of Marshall stacks with various effects pedals plus a good bass player and a really good/great drummer you couldn't really beat that combination especially back at the end of the 1960s with Cream & Hendrix and into the 1970s and bands like The Groundhogs, Rory Gallagher and the aforementioned Robin Trower.

Last edited:

STATUS QUO

Reaction score
From my empirical experience 3 piece Bands tend to be missing a 4th member.
When the one and only Guitarist stops playing Rhythm Guitar to play Lead Guitar then there is a massive whole in the sound.
Led Zeppelin are the best example.
It's OK in the studio, because the Guitarist can play multiple tracks, filling out the Band's sound.
Though on Zeppelin's 1976 Movie " The Song Remains The Same " the most ironic title I've ever heard, the sound is atrocious, because Jimmy Page can only play one Guitar, as opposed to the multiple Guitars you can hear on the studio albums.

Jimmy Page is a great studio musician, though it is a physical impossibility for him or any Guitarist to play Rhythm & Lead at the same time.

Green Day have the decency to have a Touring Guitarist on stage.
ZZ TOP had a 2nd Guitarist playing ' in the shadows '
U2 have a multitude of musicians playing under the stage.
Bono thanks them at the end of the gig.

I won't list them, though I can think of a hundred Bands that have two Guitarists.
I shudder to think how hollow and horrible they would sound without the 2nd Guitarist.
I imagine they would sound as terrible as Led Zeppelin LIVE in Concert.

STATUS QUO

Reaction score
Back in 1971 a 3 piece Band came across the Ditch from New Zealand to Australia seeking 'fame and fortune'.
They turned out to be one of the best Rockin' Blues Bands to plug into an Amp and pick up a pair of Drum sticks.
Led by KEVIN BORICH on Guitar and Vocals, THE LA DE DAS unleashed their brand of accessible Rock on to a very appreciative Australian audience.
When BORICH played, it sounded like 3 Guitars.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online