Favourite Extreme Metal Bands/Albums?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Something I do want to know from people here who do happen to listen to extreme music is what bands particularly capture your interest the most. Ill get back to the OP with my own list.

Morbid Angel - One of the major pioneers of death metal and THE first death metal band I got myself into. Love their first 3 albums I consider major classics. They had some great Steve Tucker material also. Only 2 blemishes for me was Heretic and obviously Illud Divinum Insanus. But going back to albums like Altars, Blessed, Covenant, Formulas and Gateways I love this band. Trey is an awesome guitarist.

Cannibal Corpse - Overtaken Morbid for my favourite DM band. Consistent band they always put out great albums full of brutal and technical death metal. Love their album covers and ****ed up song names too. lol George Fisher and the boys are legends.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Re: Favourite Extreme Metal Bands?

I'm a huge Morbid Angel fan as you know. Love the first 4 myself. I'll get back to you with a list after a while.

:wtf: I forgot the word fan the first time :heheh:

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Awesome, keen to see lists. Might discover some bands I somehow overlooked. lol

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Not really in my metal wheelhouse, but I do have one band to post in here.

Ahab "Call of the Wretched Sea". One of the best album covers ever done, I like it better than Mastodon's Leviathan which is also first class. Don't listen to it very often but I do enjoy it when I'm in the mood for something "completely different".

114541.jpg

Pistol

Pointing at you
Reaction score

I enjoy MA for their guitar solos. Trey is an amazing guitarist. Obituary and Opeth are the one i think of when someone asks about my favourite extreme metal bands.

Stiff n Cold

Square Peg, Round Hole.
Reaction score

My first ever foray into extreme music was Obituary's "Slowly We Rot" that album remains a stalwart of my collection as my first ever "extreme" discovery. Morbid Angel also are amongst my favourites in terms of DM along with Cannibal Corpse - CC stand out not only for their lyrics (come on who actually reads the lyrics?) but more so for the sheer brutality of their sound. Incantation took brutality to a new level with "Onwards To Golgotha" as did Suffocation with "Effigy Of The Forgotten". I rarely listen to anything else by Incantation but I am partial to Suffocation's "Pierced From Within" and "Blood Oath" also. More recently I have been enjoying the clumsy perfection of Autopsy also.

Black metal wise it has to be Mayhem for sheer painful BM on "De Mysteriis Dorn Sathanas". Burzum I can cope with in small doses, but give me Immortal all day. Whilst everyone else in BM were running around killing each other and setting churches on fire Immortal just got on with great music. Recently I have discovered an artist known as Jute Gyte (Adam Kalmbach) - a one man BM and noise/electro artist. His BM is completely bonkers and absolutely harrowing with it's harsh screams and the dissonant and discordant guitars are a sound to behold.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score

Some of the extreme bands I listen to:

Ghost Brigade -
Melodic Death/Doom Finnish metal and one of my favorites. This is the band that got me into all these extreme genres. They are just damned fine musicians who have created a fantastic, atmospheric and well executed piece of dark, haunting and brooding metal.

Virgin Black -
is an Australian band that combines gothic doom and symphonic metal influences in their music. What makes Virgin Black unique is not the band's main driving metal style but rather the complementary sonic additives that are in abundance throughout the recording: the operatic female vocal approach, the baroque aural ornamentation of the main musical theme, the interludes and preludes, the breaks, and the flirtation with classical music time and again.

Dolorian - Dolorian is a Finnish metal band with a unique style that borders on doom metal, dark metal and black metal. They sure know how to put out great atmosphere in their songs, so much that people usually tag them as be a Funeral Doom act. They're quite underrated in their genre.

Carach Angren
- Black Symphonic Metal. Love the themes and theatrics in these guys music.

Evoken - One of my favorite Funeral Doom bands and they're from the states. They're one of the earliest U.S. doom/death metal bands along with My Dying Bride and Novembers Doom. These guys are pretty consistent and always put out great albums. They have a new album out "Atra Mors", really good grim stuff.

Ava Inferi - Cold operatic soprano vocal, dark and heavy guitar riffs, and thrilling drums, this is what defines Ava Inferi. They're a Portuguese Gothic doom metal band. They sorta' remind me of Virgin Black, such an underrated band that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Witch Mountain - Witch Mountain are a Portland based fronted female band that delivers staggeringly haunting doom/stroner metal that's firmly rooted in traditional blues. This is one of the best discoveries of this year and I Highly recommend anyone who's reading this to check them out. You will love their newest album, Cauldron of the Wild, which is one of the top Doom metal album of this year.

Nortt - This Danish one man project has been delivering solid ambient black metal that wouldn't feel out of place on a funeral doom fan's collection. You will either love this or hate it..

Opeth - One of the most unique Metal bands I've listened to and one of my very top favs. I love how they've always managed to balance their heavy side with their more beautifully haunting mellower side, just perfect music for me.

My Dying Bride - They are an absolutely amazing band making the best doom metal out there. The violins are killer and the vocals change very frequently so you can't get bored like other dooms.

Last edited:

terry ells

Reaction score

love this tune starts a little slow , then all hell breaks loose

Pistol

Pointing at you
Reaction score

Some of the extreme bands I listen to:

Ghost Brigade -
Melodic Death/Doom Finnish metal and one of my favorites. This is the band that got me into all these extreme genres. They are just damned fine musicians who have created a fantastic, atmospheric and well executed piece of dark, haunting and brooding metal.

This band is damn good !!! BIG THANK YOU !

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online