Favorites of 2011

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
This will be an on going thread dealing with my favorite releases of the year, 2011. It will include Thrash, Doom, Retro, Classic, Stoner, Psych, Death and Prog ..and maybe even a few other odds and sods. Joe, if you feel inspired
to share your own favs of the year here you are more then welcome to join in.

I will start with my first installment VERY soon.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is gonna be a fun thread.
Ill name a few now and more as the year progresses and more releases.

Arch Enemy Khaos Legions - MY FAVOURITE 2011 RELEASE, brilliant album from front to back, songs are very structured, very focused in sound, and its the sort of death metal sound I expect :)

Trivium In Waves - Delivered the goods, more harsher vocals which is good, the band needed to go heavier and did so with this one.

Deicide To Hell With God - Another album that I love still, very focused sound and effort with this album.

Amon Amarth Surtur Rising - First album I bought of theirs and its a favourite.

Devin Townsend Ghost - Very relaxing music, a very chill sort of atmosphere and a fantastic album.

Autopsy Macabre Eternal - Very heavy album and deserving of praise.

Children of Bodom Relentless Reckless Forever - Much better sounding album then Blooddrunk, the band sound more focused and heavier in this album.

Sepultura Kairos - Fantastic release, often overlooked as a 2011 release.

Within Temptation The Unforgiving - Brilliant front to back, this symphonic metal band has not ceased to amaze me and delivered a special album.

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
Thanx Wolf. I might throw in some in older metal releases I purchased over the last few months as well in to the mayhem.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Thanx Wolf. I might throw in some in older metal releases I purchased over the last few months as well in to the mayhem.

This should be 2011 stuff ,bro. :D We can do an older metal thread if you want to. I know I have a ton of great martial that isn't well known around here.

Love that Autopsy CD, Riff Raff. Probably my favorite Death metal release of the year...

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
satans_host.jpg

SATAN'S HOST ~ By The Hands Of The Devil

I love this release. .
The lead vocal performance is phenomenally handled by Harry "Tyrant" Conklin of Jag Panzer fame under an assumed alas. It's dark, driving and complexity is definitity no stranger to these guys in their song-craftsmanship. An interesting and arresting mixture of musical genres , this is Power Thrash with small bits of black and death mixed into the sonic assault along with a strong dose of classic American power metal. You know the killer old school stuff that is criminally over looked in this day and age . The Intelligent lyrical themes were obviously well thought out and a labor of love. I can't say enough good things about this release, and it never fails to take me to the brink of disaster, peering over the edge whenever I take it with me to the gym. That's a good thing \m/

//

joe

Reaction score
This should be 2011 stuff ,bro. :D We can do an older metal thread if you want to. I know I have a ton of great martial that isn't well known around here.

You'd think I couldn't read.:bonk: It's right there in black and white. 2011. I also missed that you stated prog as well.

Those vocals are phenomenal! I was expecting more snarls and growls. I need to give Jag Panzer a whirl as it's been awhile. Only have Ample Destruction but should checkout some of thier recent stuff. Power thrash is an excellent description. Fantastic.

joe

Reaction score
essence_releases_lost.jpg

Lost In Violence - Essence(Denmark)

2011 - Ultimhate(Belgium) CD

- Lasse Skov / vocals, guitars
- Mark Drastrup / guitars, vocals
- Tobias Nefer / bass, vocals
- Martin Haumann / drums

U.S. inspired thrash metal reminiscent of Slayer and Megadeth and also heavily influenced by fellow Danes, Artillery. This packs a punch. Aggressive yet melodic. Crushing classic thrash without being too indebted to yesteryears monsters.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Nice pick, Joe ! My knock against most of the neo-thrash movement has always been
many of them are more or less carbon copies of their forefathers ( w/ notable exceptions ,
Warbringer etc.). These guys are like you said, influenced by their heroes, but not carbon copies of them. Great find and one I had not paid any heed to even though I had heard many people giving them praise. Definitely gonna pick it up ...

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gonna pick out Deicide and dissect by a few songs.
To Hell With God has a very solid and inspired death metal sound.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Wow, the new Deicide sounds damn good!! I had pretty much given up on them after Once Upon The Cross but I think I need to pick that one up too :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online