Favorite 50's Singer.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
In the ballads department,certainly I'd have to at least mention the great Roy Orbison on my way to acknowledging the often unheralded efforts one Mr. Tony Williams of Platters fame.Perhaps he'd surface more often in best pop vocalists ever conversations if performances such as "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" had been issued under his name.....

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to give a props to Fats Domino & Ray Charles as some of my favorite male solo singers of the 50's.

Female solo singers of that decade is more difficult to choose because there were not that many. I'm going to go with Billie Holiday & Ella Fitzgerald.

Neshabur

Reaction score
In alphabetical order, male singers:
Chuck Berry
Ray Charles,
Nat King Cole
Bobby Darin
Fats Domino
Roy Orbison
Elvis Presley.

Same order, female singers:

June Christy
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Helen Merrill
Sarah Vaughan
Dinah Washington

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Singers who were among my favorites back in the 1950's (which isn't the same as my favorite 50's singers looking back from today), Gordon MacRae, Howard Keel, John Raitt, Larry Verne, Sheb Wolley, Doris Day, and Frank Sinatra. Looking back at the 50's, those change to the usual batch of early rock and rollers. I have recently come to appreciate Peggy Lee, Julie London, and other lounge singing chanteuses.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online