Explosions In The Sky

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
logo.jpg

logos-explosions-in-the-sky.gif

ExplosionsintheSky1.jpg

Band Discography
(How Strange, Innocence (2000), Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever (2001), The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (2003), All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone (2007), Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (2011))
51OI%2BU0dT%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
explosions-in-the-sky---those-who--front-.jpg
7894151.JPG

Expsky.jpgs-in-the-sky-take-care-take-care-take-care-300x300.jpg

I've really started to get into these guys and I recommend them to fans of Sigur Ros or fans of music in general that just paints vivid landscapes which like the band name states is explosive in the way it builds. This is purely instrumental and doesn't have the weird vocals of Sigur Ros but it still has plenty of character with just the music alone. Here's some of my favorites:

Last Known Surroundings, Let me Back In, It's Natural To Be Afraid, Catastrophe and the Cure

I'm just getting into this group now and hoping to explore a lot more but I'm really feeling the energy and moods of these instrumentals and hope some of you will as well! :grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Great band. I'm surprised we didn't have a thread on them yet! In my mind they're indisputably the Kings of post-rock alongside Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Many play the game but none so well as those two groups iyam.

Their instrumentations are so alive they're practically sentient... it's a perfect example of post-rock. The way their textures cascade, simmer and then boil over is out of this world, truly unique and outstanding.

Here's one of my faves:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Great band. I'm surprised we didn't have a thread on them yet! In my mind they're indisputably the Kings of post-rock alongside Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Many play the game but none so well as those two groups iyam.

Their instrumentations are so alive they're practically sentient... it's a perfect example of post-rock. The way their textures cascade, simmer and then boil over is out of this world, truly unique and outstanding.

Here's one of my faves:

I listened to that album today AAG and that's one of the ones I favored but I think I like the newer material more. Overall, I think this is an albums band where you have to experience the whole thing together! :)

Abraxas

Reaction score
Love this group. First saw them on Austin City Limits and was hooked. I have all their cd's. :)

Abraxas

Reaction score
Which one is your favorite? :)

Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever is my absolute fave. Every track is unique. I like how the music is quiet one moment and then loud the next. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place comes in at a close second. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever is my absolute fave. Every track is unique. I like how the music is quiet one moment and then loud the next. The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place comes in at a close second. :grinthumb

I did like "Those Who..." quite a bit and agree with your description! The Earth.... is the next on my list to listen too! :grinthumb

Abraxas

Reaction score
I did like "Those Who..." quite a bit and agree with your description! The Earth.... is the next on my list to listen too! :grinthumb

Excellant! :cheers2

I heard that they did an ep called The Rescue but I've yet to hear it. I understand that it's available as a free download on their website.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
:):):):cheering

One of the top 5 bands in the last 10 years.
Love them live and have seen them a number of times including 6th row center at Radio City Music Hall and Coachella 2012 (they were up against the Black Keys).

Radio City
5599258601_00dbb8af16_z.jpg

5596716671_b99cc8ef7a.jpg

5596717083_52f2a85795.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online