Erik Alfred Leslie Satie

Oblivion

Reaction score
satie_erik_tcm8-202459.jpg

I have no clue how well known Satie is in the classical world... I know that during his life he was mostly ignored because he was a pain in the ass :lmao:. After his death his works became forgotten... But Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel, Darius Milhaud and Francis Poulenc were all influenced by his works. Later he even influenced John Cage (who is known for using coincidence in his music) in the 40's it was Cage who pointed out how much satie was from before his time... and it was then that ppl started looking at his works again...

I can say whatever I want... just listen to this and I hope you'll understand:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I only have one of his CD's, and I can't remember the name, it's on my other PC, but I found it for Z and never did get around to playing it.

It's a common theme OB, many of the best composer's never received the accolades that we have bestowed upon them all these years later.

Oblivion

Reaction score
I have "satie, piano works" 29 songs in total...

So he is fairly known around the world these days ?? Because I found him by accident actually...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
In the Classical world yes, the wider music scene, probably as obscure as he was in his own time.

I have heard of him many times, but I never pursued or collected him, I'll play my CD later and post my thoughts in here.

Okay I have a copy of his various piano works including Gymnopedies, which are extremely hard to find.

Here's a cover of one of his CD's, this one is not exactly the same as mine but has most of the same tracks on it.

erik_satie_3_gymnopedis_front.jpg

erik_satie_3_gymnopedis_back.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have to play it a couple of times OB, I never just play something once, especially classical music and offer an opinion. I'll listen to it a few more times and then post my thoughts.

Julie

Reaction score
I love Erik Satie! I like him better than Debussy, actually, but the latter gets all the credit. Especially his gnossiennes and gymnopédies, yeah.. His gnossiennes are a little more ehm what's the word.. nutty? I just found some scores for his gnossiennes on the internet, for the guitar. it's hard to create the same "dreamy" atmosphere on the guitar, because you can't let all the notes ring at all times, but it's still pretty cool to play.

I'm a classical guitarist and he really influenced me a lot. It's only after I started listening to his music that I stopped playing the notes, and started making music.

:bow: Satie

Fill up your bath tub with hot soapy water, place some scent candles around it, put Satie's cd on and slide in!

Edit: That's a real cheeky photo you posted of him, he looks like he's up to something! :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Great to see another classical music fan in here Julez.:D

I like Satie, but I am a big Debussy fan as well, and Erik's stuff is much harder to find. I only have the one album I posted. If you have other pieces by him you really like please post them in this thread for us.

Oblivion

Reaction score
I have to play it a couple of times OB, I never just play something once, especially classical music and offer an opinion. I'll listen to it a few more times and then post my thoughts.

You still have to get back to me on that one :heheh:

Satie is indeed a bit nutty from time to time.. Makes his music more vivid and more enjoyable to a 21 year old student :cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online