Review Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (1974)

album review

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Eric Clapton
461 Ocean Boulevard
Released 1974 by RSO Records
Genre: Blues-Rock
1713479550390.jpeg

Side one
1. "Motherless Children" ( Carl Radle) - 4:55
2. "Give Me Strength" (Clapton) - 2:51 ; replaced (temporarily) by "Better Make it Through Today" (Clapton) - 4:04
3. "Willie and the Hand Jive" (Johnny Otis) - 3:46
4. "Get Ready" (Clapton/Yvonne Elliman) - 3:50
5. "I Shot the Sheriff" (Bob Marley) - 4:30
Side two
1. "I Can't Hold Out" (Elmore James) - 4:10
2. "Please Be With Me" (Charles Scott Boyer) - 3:25
3. "Let It Grow" (Clapton) - 4:57
4. "Steady Rollin' Man" (Robert Johnson) - 3:14
5. "Mainline Florida" (George Terry) - 4:05

Personnel:

• Eric Clapton - Dobro, guitar, vocals, arranger
• Yvonne Elliman - vocals, background vocals
• Albhy Galuten - organ, synthesizer, piano, clavichord, electric piano
• Tom Bernfeld - vocals, background vocals
• Dick Sims - keyboards
• George Terry - guitar, background vocals
• Carl Radle - bass, arranger
• Jamie Oldaker - percussion & drums
• Al Jackson, Jr. - drums
• Jim Fox – drums

The Album:

Lets begin with the album title “461 Ocean Boulevard”, which is a real address in Golden Beach, Florida. The picture on the album cover is the actual home at that address. This is a home that was rented for Clapton in the spring of 1974 to spend some quiet time and finish his 2 year long recovery from Heroin addiction and put together his second solo album. Clapton spent 30 glorious days in this home and loved his time here so much he named the album after the home. There have been many people inhabit this house besides Clapton; the Bee Gee’s, Liza Minelli, The Eagles, and Barry Manilow, but none have brought such fame to the location as Clapton. To this very day, the current owner, Herbert Tobin, still receives visitors who think Clapton lives there, he jokingly says “My name is on the deed, but this will always be Eric Clapton’s house”.

“461 Ocean Boulevard” would become the defining album of Clapton’s solo career. During this time Clapton was shedding his guitar god status and allowing other music influences to appear, like reggae and funk, and letting his voice take center stage. This album contains some of his best musical works, even though he wasn’t writing much during this time, his cover songs seemed to belong to him. This album contains a cover song by Bob Marley ‘I Shot the Sheriff’ which became the first # 1 hit for Clapton and brought quite a bit of respect and acclaim to Clapton. The only major piece of writing Clapton did for this album was his ballads, “Let It Grow” and “Give Me Strength”, which are two of his most heartfelt songs of his career, IMO. The song “Give Me Strength” was temporarily removed from the album due to a claim that Clapton was not the composer, but pressings of the album in late 1974 returned the song to the album. The temporary replacement song ‘Better Make It Through Today’ appears on his solo release of 1975. “461 Ocean Boulevard” would serve to make a new rebirth for Clapton and deliver reggae to a world-wide audience, making this one of his best albums ever.

The Music:

”Motherless Children” ~ This is a high energy opener for the album. Clapton showcases his slide skills and his vocals are strong. Even though Clapton didn’t write this song, his long time friend and bassist,Carl Radle, wrote it, and I think Clapton delivered it with gusto. Radle played a big role in Clapton’s solo career all the way through 1979.

”Give Me Strength” ~ A slow, chugging blues ballad where Clapton asks the lord for strength to carry on after kicking his drug addictions. The organ in this song mixes beautifully with the guitar. This is one of the best ballads ever written by Clapton, IMO.

”Wille and the Hand Jive” ~ How about a little Bo Diddly beat in this cover. This song lets you know Clapton has a great fondness for the old style blues.

”Get Ready” ~ A funky and seductive duet with Yvonne Elliman, also heavy with reggae influence. Very repetitive song which is the only bad element to the song.

”I Shot the Sheriff” ~ This song not only brought Clapton to a #1 status on the billboard charts, but took reggae and funk to a world-wide audience. He did justice to the song originally written by Bob Marley. I actually like Clapton’s version better! The organ work on this song is fabulous.

”I Can’t Hold Out” ~ The highlight of this song is the outstanding slide-guitar solo. I like the low, funky blues goove of this song.

”Please Be With Me” ~ A beautiful bluesy folk ballad written by Scott Boyer. Boyer is one of the best blues writers of the 70’s and band member of a band called “Cowboy”. Boyer also did a lot of writing for Gregg Allman and the Allman Brothers.

”Let It Grow” ~ A ballad written by Clapton. A slow, inspirational, and dramatic song. The guitar work is excellent, he played a Dobro which has a moaning sort of sound. A sing along song “Plant your love and let it grow”. This song became an FM staple during late 1974.

”Steady Rollin’ Man” ~ An upbeat song and groovin’ song. Clapton’s vocals are strong and confident. (sorry about the quality of the song, obviously whomever uploaded this has skips in their vinyl)

”Mainline Florida” ~ Let’s end this album with a rocking song. Written by George Terry, guitarist and backing vocalist for Clapton, who played with Clapton until 1979. Clapton ended up recording 3 of Terry’s songs including “Lay Down Sally”.

Overall, this is a pretty solid album. I feel that this album is some of Clapton’s best musical works and his clear mind and steady hand definitely shows in this album.

My rating for listening pleasure 4/5.

Reaction score
Re: Eric Clapton ~ 461 Ocean Boulevard (1974)

I love this album:grinthumb

and great review of each song, I agree with just about every description:D
This album is really, really great, over half of the songs are my favorites from it:heheh:

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

Yes, one of my favs too! Mainline Florida is a cool song! Overall, an excellent album!

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

great review of each song, I agree with just about every description:D

I agree with eberg...Magic, EXCELLENT JOB in the song description department and great over-all album review!

:cheers2

Just a note to big EC Fans out there...

Go out and get 461 Ocean Boulevard [The Deluxe Edition] because not only do you get this wonderful classic album remastered and sounding totally awesome, but you get a second disc of vintage live Eric Clapton from 1974, sounding great....

Here's the songs found on Dics 2, from the ''Deluxe Edition''...

All tracks are LIVE!...

1. Smile

2. Let It Grow

3. Can't Find My Way Home

4. I Shot the Sheriff

5. Tell the Truth

6. The Sky Is Crying/Have You Ever Loved a Woman/Ramblin' on My Mind

7. Little Wing

8. Singin' the Blues

9. Badge

10. Layla

11. Let It Rain

This is a must for all serious Clapton fans!!

iPVUp.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

A fantastic Album IMO, Eric works with some incredible musicians on this and it shows.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

I'm not a huge Clapton fan, but this album is great. I especially love Motherless Children, Better make It Through Today and Please Be With Me:D

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Messenger Of Music
Reaction score

Clapton is one of my idols! Great review, his solo career was definitely not his best musical effort, but first 2 albums and some albums in the later part of his career are great!

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Great review Magic, I have this album and I have to say it is excellent, "Let It Grow" one of my faves from the master.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online