Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Eminem

Eminem Official Website
Eminem Youtube Channel
Complete Discography

m&m.jpg

I'm a Hip-Hop fan! No secret and any hip-hop fan has to have at least a stance on Eminem. The guy is one of the greatest wordsmiths in hip-hop period. He was found by a guy who's not only a genius himself but has a great ear for talent, Dr. Dre. Dre hasn't only discovered Eminem but Snoop Dogg and both artist have crossed over into the public consciousness more than any other rappers before or after.

Eminem is so good that even those who would have potentially been reviled by some of the darkest, most insane material have crossed over into enjoying his music. I believe there's a reason for this and it's also the reason he never runs out of material. Eminem's writing is simply about Eminem and it's a raw exposure of the man himself. For every success he's had and every failure he's had he's written about it. For every line he hypes himself with or takes a shot at another with he exposes his flaws and takes a shot at himself in another. He's about as brutally honest about oneself as they can get and that's why he's still relevant. People like honesty in the end and can forgive people for their actions if they take responsibility for their actions in the end.

My reasons musically for liking him is he actually has the balls to sing in his choruses which not all rappers do. He has a great balance between fun, poppy satirical hip-hop songs and darker malevolent gritty hip-hop. He'll go outside the box and experiment with different sounds and he comes up with lyrical phrasing and rhythms I've never heard anyone do before. The guys not even my favorite rapper of all time (that's 2Pac) but I really respect him and since his new c.d. Recovery is really grabbing my ear I think it's time he had a thread! :grinthumb

My favorite Eminem tracks:

Guilty Conscience
(this and Forgot About Dre were fun tracks and showed he keep up with Dre)

The Way I Am
(seeing this much anger expressed with such emotion made me an official Eminem fan)

Stan
(Using Didos vocals on this was brilliant and made Em's best single IMO and Dido's career)

Sing For The Moment
(liked the use of the Dream On sample, sounds like it belongs unlike other rap tracks)

Without Me
(my favorite pop single from Em, I was doing this on karaoke recently :heheh:)

Mockingbird
(The best sentimental track to his daughter Hailie IMO and an example of his singing chorus's)

Shake That
(Great song to dance to at clubs)

:ec:
I Remember
(not a friendly song at all It's a vulgar vicious diss track against another artist, Everlast! I love the song but don't bother if extreme language bothers you in the least!)

Part II will deal with the most recent material of the last two albums which will have more tracks from each! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Eminem Thread

:oyea:

The Without Me video still cracks me up....GOLD

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Sooty, don't you know that this is a classic rock forum. What are you doing posting an Eminem thread?! :D :heheh:

No but really, Eminem is my favorite rapper and the one I hold to be the gold standard that everyone else in his line of work aims to be.

Here are some faves of mine that you haven't posted already:

Also:

"Kim" isn't actually a favorite of mine but I thought I'd post it anyway because it scares the shit out of me.

CREAM'd

Reaction score

I used to listen to D12's first album quite regularly,i didn't particularly like the second one.I have 2 or 3 Eminem albums,The Eminem Show being my favourite,i never listen to him anymore(i dont really like his newer stuff),it must be a few years since i listened to one of his albums.There's no denying he is extremely talented at what he does,i've heard his new album is a lot better than his previous few?

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

@ Metal-Agreed! Eminem is so good at the humorous stuff you tend to forget how venomous controversial his other songs are!

@ Cosmic-You know me! Always breaking those rules! :heheh: Good picks BTW! :grinthumb

@ Cream'd-I liked D12's 1st c.d. as well! Honestly, I thoink Eminem's only gotten more creative and better at his game since his last two c.d.s. You're not alone if you don't like the Relapse material as Eminem even said it was sub par for him but I thought Relapse was really good. It was very psychotic and crazy which I liked and it experimented with some different styles.

Relapse

eminem_relapse1.jpg

My fav songs from the album!

My Mom
(Don't get me wrong, he's beaten his Mom into the ground writing wise but this song is just hilarious and crazy, it's my favorite on the album)

Bagpipes From Baghdad

(Best rap with bagpipes track since House Of Pain, love all his accents on the album)

Insane
(pretty much represents the mood of the album)

The new album however is Eminem honestly at his peak IMO! It's his best rhymes nonstop and a change of pace as it's him at his most humble and changes the course of his writing!

Recovery
41PDuGGom9L._SS500_.jpg

I like every track on the disc honestly but here's some highlights! :grinthumb

Talkin' To Myself
(great start)

25 to Life
(A favorite)

Won't Back Down

(love the rhythm to this)

Space Bound
(cool rap ballad)

Cinderella Man
(cool rock vibed track)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Tip toes into this thread :D

I am an Eminem fan, casually. I have a couple of his CD's. I have Infinite and The Eminem Show and now I have Recovery.

The only problem I have with Eminem is how much he has beat down his mom. Enough with that, yanno. It isn't like Eminem himself hasn't had issues :think:

Honestly, I still think his early work is better. I like the fact he called this new album "Recovery" but to be blatantly frank, I think it is a continuation of "Relapse".....

JM2CW.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

As a guy who used to like a little "pop" rap from the 80's and 90's like M.C. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Young MC, Tag Team, Wreckz and Effect, Sir Mix A Lot, DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, Will Smith and The Fat Boys, I'll admit I like a little hip hop.

Eminem isn't necessarily the same thing as the above, but his music is more accessible and easier to relate to than anything else in the modern rap genre, which to me is complete rubbish.

I really liked his work in the movie 8 Mile, I liked the soundtrack and I liked the first Eminem studio album, however I think everything else he has done since the debut pales in comparison. IMO.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Tip toes into this thread :D

I am an Eminem fan, casually. I have a couple of his CD's. I have Infinite and The Eminem Show and now I have Recovery.

The only problem I have with Eminem is how much he has beat down his mom. Enough with that, yanno. It isn't like Eminem himself hasn't had issues :think:

Honestly, I still think his early work is better. I like the fact he called this new album "Recovery" but to be blatantly frank, I think it is a continuation of "Relapse".....

JM2CW.

As a guy who used to like a little "pop" rap from the 80's and 90's like M.C. Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Young MC, Tag Team, Wreckz and Effect, Sir Mix A Lot, DJ Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, Will Smith and The Fat Boys, I'll admit I like a little hip hop.

Eminem isn't necessarily the same thing as the above, but his music is more accessible and easier to relate to than anything else in the modern rap genre, which to me is complete rubbish.

I really liked his work in the movie 8 Mile, I liked the soundtrack and I liked the first Eminem studio album, however I think everything else he has done since the debut pales in comparison. IMO.

@ Magic, 100% agreed on the mom bashing thing and for a while I thought he was getting stale with certain topics which is one reason I think he took a break and now he's got more subject matter under his belt!

@ Aeroplane, I love your 90's rap list! Good fun stuff! I disagree for me personally about his debut as it's my least favorite personally! It was his second album on that grabbed my ear and for me there's been peaks and valleys in between like with any artist!

Glad to see all of you visit the thread though! Cool to hear varied points of view! :grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

Long time Eminem fan here. Just bought Recovery and really like it with Not Afraid my favourite from the cd.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Is it odd that I find Eminem's music the most enjoyable after midnight?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online