Elvis Costello (Official Thread)

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Re: Elvis Costello

My 4 cents: EC SUX big time......if it wasn't for his 1st name, he wouldn't even be mentioned in the music biz. His music is nowhere near real art...just a handful of noise and mumblings...his arrangements suck big time too :):)

Thank you for representing the people who have never heard Elvis Costello's music. :lmao:

bobbyg29

Professor of Rock n Roll
Reaction score

allmusic.com is obviously not the final word when it comes to music but they seem to share my view of EC:

"Because he supported his lyrics with his richly diverse music, Costello emerged as one of the most innovative, influential, and best songwriters since Bob Dylan."

F

FoxyPage

My 4 cents: EC SUX big time......if it wasn't for his 1st name, he wouldn't even be mentioned in the music biz. His music is nowhere near real art...just a handful of noise and mumblings...his arrangements suck big time too :):)

His first name has absolutely nothing to do with his success and for the people who haven't heard his music yet, listen to it for yourselves and don't let comments like this turn you away. His name didn't make him a success, his music did.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Elvis Costello And The Attractions first three albums, ''My Aim Is True'', ''This Year's Model'' and ''Armed Forces'' that came out in the late 70's. Love 'em.

After that, I liked a couple of songs here and there that came out in the 80's, like ''"Honey, Are You Straight or Are You Blind?", ''"Everyday I Write the Book" and others. I felt his albums on a whole didn't match up to the greatness of the first three albums, in my opinion.

To be honest, it took me a while to get into Elvis Costello. I heard his music before, but it wasn't until the 90's I really checked out his music.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Elvis Costello was part of the original skinny tie brigade in the 70's that rockers would do this at --> :rolleyes:

I do like a handful of his songs like "Radio Radio" and "Pump It Up", but I never could get into songs like "Alison". And judging by some of the schlock I've posted in the 70's thread today, I do have an appreciation for the softer side of music. :D

And for comparison, I also like A LOT of fellow skinny tie wearer Joe Jackson's music if that helps you read my Costello likeability meter any better. :D

Reaction score

What's the matter with the clothes I'm wearing?
"Can't you tell that your tie's too wide?"
Maybe I should buy some old tab collars?
"Welcome back to the age of jive"

here you go KME---wait... Dave...:D

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I used to love that advert for R. White's lemonade, the one Elvis Costello's dad, Ross Macmanus, wrote and sang (with the teenage Elvis providing backing vocals!).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Time to show some respect for Elvis.

He is scheduled to perform a charity concert here to help preserve one of our most cherished landmarks, Fort Edmonton Park. A historical recreation of a village from our long lost past, many filmmakers have used it over the years, but it needs a lot of work to keep it from falling into disrepair.

So my hat is off to Elvis Costello, first for even knowing where this city is and second for giving of himself for a worthy cause, the world could use more men with his class.

:ty:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online