Elvis Costello (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Elvis Costello

...Nice thread Foxy. I never collected Elvis Costello either, I guess the initial hype when his first album was released over here turned me off, my friend bought the album and we just didn't see what all the fuss was about.

Not an expert though I admit that, seeing I don't have any of his CD's.

He's done a good job with his new TV show, co-produced by Elton John, seems to be a natural at that kind of thing.

Squonk's Tears

Reaction score

Thanks, Foxy Page, for starting this thread about one of the greatest rock songwriters ever. I believe his writing approaches Lennon and McCartney in depth and complexity and overall quality.

"Allison" still breaks my heart; and just listen to a young Declan McManus vamping on his electric guitar like an old jazz veteran in that song.

His output is prolific, and I have to admit I sort of lost track of him with his later albums. For me, Get Happy is his best album. Great, subtle irony, angst, and good-old-fashioned sexual frustration in songs like "Human Touch"; subversion of corporate culture in "Opportunity"; and songs that just make you muse over the meaning of lyrics, like the fine rocker, "5ive Gears in Reverse."

Other remarkable songs, generally: Clubland; Girls Talk; New Lace Sleeves; This Year's Girl; Oliver's Army; Watching the Detectives; Party Girl; New Lace Sleeves; Shot With His Own Gun; Beyond Belief; The Loved Ones; Human Hands; Everyday I Write the Book.

Possibly my all-time favorite: Sneaky Feelings. "I'd like to get right through the way I feel for you, but I've still got a long way to go . . . "

F

FoxyPage

Wow, didn't expect so many replies, this is great!

Magic hit it with the love him or hate him comment. I have never found an inbetweener. I think what I like about him most (besides his songs) is that he's a geek and doesn't care. He's himself and doesn't feel the need to drop his glasses (though he's upgraded them nicely) and look like everyone else. I think that is what's lost the most in music these days. No one is themselves, they all look and act the same.

Kinda the same thing with Weezer. Huge geeks but they don't feel the need to change and look different than they do.

I like it when artists stay true to themselves and focus on the music instead of looking the way that people think they should look.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Seeing as Elvis's name has come up recently in threads I think it'd be cool to bump this one and debate it in hear. It's a good thread IMO as when I first showed up here I listened to many of his songs for the first time in here! IMO he's an artist that stands out as definitely having his own definitive style and I can see the appeal. I also have a bias towards him right now as I just saw an awesome collaboration he did with Fiona Apple! :grinthumb Anyway, comment away! :grinthumb

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

The other Elvis is one of my top ten faves of all time. I love the early punky stuff, the slow jazzy stuff, the country flavored stuff, the recent bluesier stuff, it's all great. Nobody, except maybe Neil Young, has been more adventurous than Elvis with his sound. And the songwriting remains solid throughout. I'm at work now so I can't post videos, but I'll be adding to this thread when I get home.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

I also have a bias towards him right now as I just saw an awesome collaboration he did with Fiona Apple! :grinthumb Anyway, comment away! :grinthumb

I Want You? A great Elvis track, but Fiona own's it in that version.

Reaction score

I Want You? A great Elvis track, but Fiona own's it in that version.

She does.. we were discussing it in the Fiona Apple thread, also, she did "Shabby Doll" with Elvis, I do have to disagree with you about Neil Young, but that's neither here or there, so we'll put that off for another day:tongue:

Tiny Tim

Reaction score

She does.. we were discussing it in the Fiona Apple thread, also, she did "Shabby Doll" with Elvis, I do have to disagree with you about Neil Young, but that's neither here or there, so we'll put that off for another day:tongue:

:heheh:Oh, C'mon. Don't leave me hanging! What do you disagree with? That Young was adventurous with his sound?

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

My 4 cents: EC SUX big time......if it wasn't for his 1st name, he wouldn't even be mentioned in the music biz. His music is nowhere near real art...just a handful of noise and mumblings...his arrangements suck big time too :):)

Reaction score

:heheh:Oh, C'mon. Don't leave me hanging! What do you disagree with? That Young was adventurous with his sound?

he was certainly adventurous, but DEFINITELY not in a way I like :heheh:

aside from a very small selection of songs I can not stand his voice, his guitar tone often goes straight through my head, and his playing gets on my nerves because a lot of times whether its piano or guitar it just sounds like he's beating the hell out of it, I think Crosby Stills and nash would have been better had they never met Neil, but I will say I'm glad he was around because I like a good number of bands he influenced... so that's his redeeming quality:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Staff online

Members online