All This Useless Beauty (1996)
When I Was Cruel (2002)
North (2003)
The Delivery Man (2004)
Momofuku (2008)
Secret, Profane & Sugarcane (2009)
National Ransom (2010)
Wise Up Ghost (2013) (with The Roots)[55]

I'm putting him here since he started in the 70's but Elvis Costello lives forever and still sings so I can't really pick another decade so I went with his beginnings.

On top of being immortal, he sings a few different genres: Hard/pub/punk rock, new wave and country. He started his first band in 1971.

Everyday I Write the Book <3

Reaction score
Re: Elvis Costello

I love "Radio, Radio" and obviously "Pump It Up"

Veronica is up there too, I really like his fast stuff, I just can't get into much of his slow stuff besides"Allison" but I really just like the faster stuff, "Peace, Love, and Understanding" kicks some serious ass as well

F

FoxyPage

^ Same here, Everyday I Write the Book is as slow as I like to get with Costello. Not that I don't like his slower tunes, I just like the more up tempo songs he sings that make you feel energetic.

Reaction score

yeah, its really fun, kinda just like "lets go, screw everything, drop your work, drop what ever is making you miserable and lets just go and have some fun on a whim" good roadtrip music, especially if its not really planned, and I actually can't stand his slow songs, besides Allison, it just seems like the vocals are way over done and he tries too hard on them, where as the fast stuff is well... you posted the thread lol, so you knwo..

F

FoxyPage

We think the same on this one, lol. I like his more fun, happy songs that I can get out of my seat to. If I am feeling a bit mellowed out, I don't mind the slow ones too much but I think his more upbeat songs are way better.

Pump It Up makes me want to punch something, though. I just gives me a lot of energy to hear it, haha. Love that song.

Reaction score

We think the same on this one, lol. I like his more fun, happy songs that I can get out of my seat to. If I am feeling a bit mellowed out, I don't mind the slow ones too much but I think his more upbeat songs are way better.

Pump It Up makes me want to punch something, though. I just gives me a lot of energy to hear it, haha. Love that song.

I know, not many songs get me like that, but that one just does it, its not like an angry pump up though, its just ****ing pumped, the song I Feel Allright by GBH does the same thing, theres a few more, but thats another thread :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Elvis Costello is another artist I never gave a proper listen! I only listened to "Everyday I Write the Book" and "Alison" before and even then I obviously never absorbed it because it still sounded somewhat unfamiliar listening to the again. I listened to every song recommended in this thread and I think I get the appeal. Even though the music itself isn't flashy Elvis seems to add a lot of character and attitude to each song to make it come to life!

O.K. call me crazy but I thought of Wild Wild West from Escape Club when hearing Pump It Up! Very similar beginning! I played them both ten times before daring to post this to see if I'm hearing things! :lmao:

Sorry guys! :lmao:

Anyway, I really liked Veronica and Watching The Detectives the most! :grinthumb

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Nope does nothing for me - must be something in the name which turns me off! :eek:hyeah:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Nope does nothing for me - must be something in the name which turns me off! :eek:hyeah:

actually, CP/M, judging from some of the other artists you have posted, you would like Elvis Costello.....

He has a HUGE discography and vast styles in music, try the album I listed. Very mellow music, almost cabaret at times, even folkish. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online