Elf and Ronnie Dio

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
elf-band2.jpg

Padavona Website (Dio Early Years)

Live At The Beacon (1971) - as The Elves (bootleg)
Live At The Bank (1972) - as The Elves (bootleg)
Elf (1972)
Live! And My Soul Shall Be Lifted (1973) (bootleg)
Carolina County Ball (1974) (US title: L.A.59)
Trying to Burn the Sun (1975)
The Gargantuan (1978) compilation of 1974 & 1975 albums
Ronnie James Dio: The Elf Albums (1991) compiles 1974 & 1975 albums
And Before Elf... There Were Elves (2011) - as The Elves features 12 songs from 'Live At The Bank' bootleg

In case anyone didn't know, Ronnie Dio's band prior to Rainbow was ELF who put out three albums in the early '70's. Here's some rare footage.

Elf+band.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Re: Dio in ELF

:heheh: But seriously, I picked up The first Elf album (where Dio played bass and used his real name Ronald Padavona) and it's typical early '70's rock. Not bad at all though. The album closer, Gambler Gambler I thought was a great song with a cool lead guitar break. I've yet to get the two subsequent albums (Carolina Country Ball and Trying To Burn The Sun) but have heard some stuff from compilations. The Rainbow Family Album features two songs Nevermore and Wonderworld which are very good. Anyone heard of this band?

Attachments

• elf.jpg
    elf.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 132
  • carolina_county_ball_front.jpg
    carolina_county_ball_front.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 133
  • ttbts.jpg
    ttbts.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 131

APageMark

Reaction score
Re: Dio in ELF

You can trace Dio back to one his first bands in 1957, the Vegas Kings.

Public records indicate that RJD will be 65 in July. Including the Vegas Kings, that's 50 years of Dio! :grinthumb

Sorry about the tiny image. That's Ronnie on the left

Attachments

• Vegas kings.jpg
    Vegas kings.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 125

Rocker440

Reaction score
I do have a couple of the ELF albums, as well. I remember reading an article or two about ELF touring with Deep Purple and Ritchie Blackmore being quite impressed with both Ronnie Dio and some of the other members of the band, too. Interestingly when Ritchie left to go solo he mostly 'recruited' those members into his first solo band. Although Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow was a great solo album for him and the band, I believe that Ronnie Dio was the only former Elf member to both continue with the touring Rainbow band, and also with future albums, too.

If I remember somewhat correctly RJD was the singer with the most longevity of the three singers of Rainbow, and also with many fantastic songs, music and tremendous stage presence as the vocalist, too! Although Joe Lynn Turner is a helluva singer, songwriter and performer himself, imo! :cheers:

EDIT: One more singer that I had somewhat forgotten was the fourth singer for the 'reformed' R.B.'s Rainbow with Doogie White on vocals. :cheers:

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Elf's drummer, Gary Driscoll, went on to form a band called Bible Black and they released two albums; Ground Zero and Thrasher. Driscoll was murdered in 1987.

Gary Driscoll ~ Drums (Elf, Rainbow)
Craig Gruber ~ Bass (Elf, Rainbow, Gary Moore)
Duck McDonald ~ Guitar (Blue Cheer)
Jeff Fenholt ~ Vocals (broadway singer in Jesus Christ Superstar)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Elf's drummer, Gary Driscoll, went on to form a band called Bible Black and they released two albums; Ground Zero and Thrasher. Driscoll was murdered in 1987.

Gary Driscoll ~ Drums (Elf, Rainbow)
Craig Gruber ~ Bass (Elf, Rainbow, Gary Moore)
Duck McDonald ~ Guitar (Blue Cheer)
Jeff Fenholt ~ Vocals (broadway singer in Jesus Christ Superstar)

This is wild, considering the last Heaven and Hell album had a song with the same title...I need to look into this and check it out. :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is wild, considering the last Heaven and Hell album had a song with the same title...I need to look into this and check it out. :grinthumb

I saw that, MP, and it also had the title "Thrasher" with a pretty impressive list of artists........

I did several searches and couldn't find the original Bible Black albums anywhere.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online