Liz Buckingham
Tas
Shaun Rutter

FORMER MEMBERS
Tim Bagshaw
Mark Greening
Justin Greaves
Rob Al-Issa

Electric Wizard are a doom metal band from Dorset, England that formed in 1993. The band have since recorded six albums, two of which are now considered to be landmarks of their genre: Come My Fanatics... and Dopethrone.
Electric Wizard have a distinct yet traditional doom metal sound that incorporates stoner and sludge traits, with lyrics typically involving the occult, witchcraft, H.P. Lovecraft, horror films and cannabis. During 2003, founding members Tim Bagshaw and Mark Greening left to form the band Ramesses, making Jus Oborn the only founding member who remains.

In 1995 the band signed to Rise Above Records and released their self-titled debut album, Electric Wizard. The music was in the vein of traditional doom metal, and it received positive reviews. Later that year they released the song "Demon Lung" as a split-single with Our Haunted Kingdom (later to become Orange Goblin). In 1997 the band recorded and released, Come My Fanatics..., an album which has come to define Electric Wizard's sound.[3] Later that year, Man's Ruin records introduced the band to American audiences with the Chrono.Naut EP.

In the three years following the release of Come My Fanatics..., the members of Electric Wizard encountered a series of setbacks. There were legal issues – Oborn was arrested for Cannabis possession, Greening was arrested for assaulting a police officer, and Bagshaw served a sentence for robbery. Health problems also plagued the band – Oborn suffered a collapsed eardrum during a concert, and later severed a fingertip in a DIY accident. Greening also broke his collarbone in a motorcycle accident. During this time the band released the Supercoven EP on Bad Acid Records.

After recovering from their complications, Electric Wizard finally recorded and released a third album, Dopethrone, in 2000. This album expanded upon themes from Come My Fanatics... and pushed doom metal into unknown territories. Their next album, entitled Let Us Prey, was released in 2002. It was Electric Wizard's most experimental record, adopting an aggressive sound similar to sludge metal. Following the release the band embarked on an ill-fated North American tour that produced tensions between band members. The final concert of the tour was announced as their last, but this would prove a premature announcement. Electric Wizard subsequently returned to the UK for a tour with Cathedral, on which Greening was replaced by Justin Greaves (of Iron Monkey). In April 2003 Greening and Bagshaw left the band to form Ramesses.

In August 2003, Oborn revealed Electric Wizard's new line-up – drummer Greaves, second-guitarist Liz Buckingham (of 13 and Sourvein), and bassist Rob Al-Issa.[3] This new lineup recorded We Live in 2004, which featured a similar sound to Let Us Prey, but with a much "tighter" style. The general response from critics and fans has been mixed. Greaves left the band in 2006 and was replaced by Shaun Rutter. In November 2007, Electric Wizard released their most recent album, entitled Witchcult Today. It was recorded entirely using vintage audio equipment from the 1970s. Witchcult Today has earned the band its most favourable reception since 2000.

In 2009 Electric Wizard are booked to perform their LAST live appearance for the foreseeable future at the Damnation Festival 2009 on October 24. After these engagements Electric Wizard will be concentrating on work for their new , as yet untitled, LP to be released.

Check them out. Pretty cool band, reminds me of Sabbath's Doom Sound (Black Sabbath, Into The Void)

Funeralopolis

Behemoth

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FoxyPage

Re: Electric Wizard

This is SO weird because I could have sworn I made an EW thread here but this is the only one that came up.....EXPLAINATIONS, PLZ.

Anyways, one of the top rapers of my last.fm list <3

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score

Distortion and bong hittin' heavy noise at it's best. I take a trip into the unknown with Electric Wizard. The best part about it is I never come back.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

These guys are great . I love the Debut .My favorite though I really like them all. I have the new one but haven't listened to enough yet to know where I'd rank it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online