Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...(1997)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Come My Fanatics...

comemyfanatics.jpg

Band - Electric Wizard
Genres - Doom Metal / Stoner Metal / Sludge Metal
Year of Release - 1997

Personnel
Jus Oborn - guitar, vocals, effects
Tim Bagshaw - bass, effects
Mark Greening - drums

I will say this. This is one of the heaviest records by probably the heaviest band of all time. That being said the word "heavy" gets tossed around for a lot of different bands most of which do not really deserve it, but Electric Wizard is probably the most deserving band of the adjective "heavy" since Black Sabbath. This band not only is deserving of it, but they have redefined what "heavy" really was with this release.

If you haven't heard Electric Wizard's music before here is a simple description of what it sounds like: a heavier more ****ed up sounding 70's Black Sabbath that is slowed down a bit. This album is simply crushing. The band achieves this greatness with several key factors: riffs, simplicity, down tuning, and a lot of weed.

Right away you will notice that the riffs here are pretty memorable. These guys tune all the way to B which proves to be really effective for these slow, sludgy drawn out riffs that rely on blues-based phrasing, much like Sabbath did. The production compliments this further by getting that low end out there, backed by some pretty sludgy bass. Jus Osborn (guitarist / vocalist) also throws some good leads over the riffs as well. Nothing flashy, but it works well.

It is pretty clear that Electric Wizard took the approach of "less is more" approach while writing this record. The riffs are simple and repeat often through out the relatively cyclic song structures. The band uses this to their full advantage, and lets the true meaning of heavy flow. Combined with their slow tempos, the simplicity becomes extremely catchy and genius. Even the lyrics are relatively short and simple (and one will notice some Black Sabbath allusions in them). Once the song develops around a central idea, the songs get broken up with some more "jam oriented" parts that seem pretty loose but effective.

Electric Wizard proudly advertise the fact that they love marijuana, and its effects are ever present in their music. From Osborn's raw throat to little nuances like coughing in songs, weed is everywhere here. This album will be a delight to any pot-head, but that doesn't mean it's only for drug users. Fans of doom, stoner rock, or slow heavy music in general will take liking to the album

I found every song enjoyable. Honestly. I can listen to this album all the way through without skipping a song.

This is an amazing record that is full of blurry riffs and has a lot of staying power.
The replay value for this record IMO is very high. This and Dopethrone are their masterpieces and I highly doubt they will ever top either one.
This is IMO how doom metal should sound like today. Electric Wizard really took "heavy" to a whole new level here. I highly recommend this album
and is one of the few albums I would give a perfect rating.

Track listing

All songs written by Jus Oborn.

1 "Return Trip" – 10:02
2 "Wizard in Black" – 8:14 (8:02 on 2CD)
3 "Doom-Mantia" – 8:49
4 "Ivixor B / Phase Inducer" – 8:47
5 "Son of Nothing" – 6:44 (6:32 on 2CD)
6 "Solarian 13" – 7:58

Bonus songs included on reissues:

7 "Demon Lung" – 5:52
8 "Return to the Son of Nothingness" – 6:38

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...

Very nicely written Mud...:cheers2

Even though this is not my usual genre of metal you've convinced me to give this a listen...the whole album in order from start to finish.

As far as the "smokey ambiance"...well Years and Years ago I would have obliged but those days are far behind me now.:grinthumb

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

If I could write reviews this well I would be writing them all the time. Nice job, Numb. A album I already love, so your preaching to the choir here, but you have inspired me to give my TB a bit of a break, dig out my copy, and blast some EW :cheers2

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Very nicely written Mud...:cheers2

Even though this is not my usual genre of metal you've convinced me to give this a listen...the whole album in order from start to finish.

As far as the "smokey ambiance"...well Years and Years ago I would have obliged but those days are far behind me now.:grinthumb

Well that's good LG. Hopefully you like it. Haha yea those days have not left me yet.

If I could write reviews this well I would be writing them all the time. Nice job, Numb. A album I already love, so your preaching to the choir here, but you have inspired me to give my TB a bit of a break, dig out my copy, and blast some EW :cheers2

Thanks man! Enjoy it haha. Blasted it yesterday that is what inspired me to do a review on it. Might do one for dopethrone as well.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online