Electric Blues

MilesMingus

Reaction score
Spike said:
this insufferable purist much prefers Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin or Elmore James. Or Hound Dog Taylor. Or Slim Harpo. Or...

Spike

Or...Buddy Guy

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
One of the better Blues Guitarists I remember seeing back in the old days was Albert Collins, fingerpicking his Telecaster.

Albert Collins was on of Jimi Hendrix' primary guitar inspirations, as well as Johnny Winter; Albert was noted for his aggressive guitar style.

Here's a live sound clip from Albert Collins "Thaw Out @ the Fillmore" album from 1969:

http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=ApPMmS...hurl.exe?clipid=079475501030006900&cid=600109

ac.jpg

The other bands that appeared on the bill with Albert Collins, that night back in 1969, were OK, too. :clap:

Peter Green
47013689-e6f1-00FA011F-.gif

http://www.unionsquaremusic.co.uk/samples/METRCD111_1_5.mp3

47013071-c1d7-015E0215-.gif

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I always thought Albert Collins' playing quite unique, especially playing up so high on the fretboard with that capo always there in high position.
A later video I liked was Albert Collins trading licks with Thorogood at Live Aid.

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
Spike said:
Absolutely. Or Albert Collins. Or Albert King. Or Luther Allison. Or Magic Sam. Or Little Milton. Or ... they go on and on... :)

Spike

You should check out the 1991 VHS of Gary Moore and the Midnight Blues Band : An Evening of the Blues, featuring, on the same stage with:

garymooore-an-evening.jpg

Albert King, and, Albert Collins.

Speaking of being a purist.... that's quite allright....
but if you take to extremes.... then one would harldy listen to --any-- Classic Rock.... when you could listen to the likes of Miles Davis.....

But since I'm not that pure or worthy (yet) to appreciate Miles Davis's level of work.... So I'll be listenin' to Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, ..... and sometimes .... just Blues....

Like Blind Willie Johnson:

B0000028QB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

While I love Zeppelin's version of "Nobody's Fault But Mine".... I love even more Blind Willie Johnson's ...

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
The Rover said:
Speaking of being a purist.... that's quite allright....
but if you take to extremes.... then one would harldy listen to --any-- Classic Rock.... when you could listen to the likes of Miles Davis.....

But since I'm not that pure or worthy (yet) to appreciate Miles Davis's level of work.... So I'll be listenin' to Rock, Hard Rock, Blues Rock, ..... and sometimes .... just Blues....

While I love Zeppelin's version of "Nobody's Fault But Mine".... I love even more Blind Willie Johnson's ...

I love Miles Davis. He wakes me up every morning on my alarm clock :) (Kind of Blue). And in IMHO, that doesn't mean I can't also deeply appreciate classic rock.

And I agree entirely on Blind Willie Johnson. As I've said before on this board -- sometimes to great scorn -- his version of "Jesus Make Up My Dyin' Bed" is far superior to Zep's version ("In My Time of Dyin'), which IMHO is a travesty.

Spike

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I think Dylan does by far the best version of In My Time of Dyin'. In fact it's one of my favorite songs ever. But then I think pretty much everything on Dylan's debut album is a miracle of awesomeness.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I always liked Zeppelin's version of In My Time Of Dying....the dynamics of the music were well done I felt though I am sure their version is much different than the original and other pre '74 versions.
A good live Zep version of this is Earl's Court '75.

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
Spike said:
I love Miles Davis. He wakes me up every morning on my alarm clock :) (Kind of Blue). And in IMHO, that doesn't mean I can't also deeply appreciate classic rock.

And I agree entirely on Blind Willie Johnson. As I've said before on this board -- sometimes to great scorn -- his version of "Jesus Make Up My Dyin' Bed" is far superior to Zep's version ("In My Time of Dyin'), which IMHO is a travesty.

Spike

I never thought Zep's IMTOD was all that great.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online