Electric Blues

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
For Electric Blues, there's Roy Buchanan and Gary Moore, Mark Farner, Jeff Beck, and Clapton, of course.....

But tops for me for the Electric Blues performance is
Jimmy Page's live rendition of :clap: :clap: "Since I've Been Loving You" :clap: :clap: from 1973's Madison Square Garden show, filmed for the movie, THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME.

Here's a YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uNQ1KcTarA&search=LED ZEPPELIN

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Yeah, Page plays some really fast blues runs on that version and has superb tone out of the Sunburst.....actually the band was very tight on that song as well as a great sound mix. Jones' keyboards mixed flawlessly with the rest of the band so it came off very professionally.
I guess they realized that they had hit the big-time playing at MSG....not to mention the filming.....man, the pressure must have been ON.

The Rover

'Ol Timer
Reaction score
Drummer Chris said:
I guess they realized that they had hit the big-time playing at MSG....not to mention the filming.....man, the pressure must have been ON.

I think that Zeppelin realised that they were the Biggest Group in the World early in their 1973 Tour of the United States, when they began breaking The Beatles stadium records for attendence. And, Zep did all this without a Massive Hype Machine, or, Coporate Sponsorship. Just word of mouth.... fans turning others onto this groove....
I think that the biys were well accustomed to the pressure of bug time touring, even before the '73 tour, as they had been headlining since 1969 at concerts and at Festivals...

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Gearjammer said:
You'd have top add Stevie Ray Vaughn, who is perhaps the most intense of them all.....
Agreed. In fact he'd probably be first on my list for electric blues - though Jimmy Page is my overall fave guitarist. :)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Yeah I'm listening to about the 10th Rory Gallagher song that this DJ has played thus far tonight on the radio! Rory's great!!

Also love Ten Years After and Led Zep for their hardcore electric blues.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
As an insufferable blues purist, most of the names mentioned -- like Mark Farner -- do not qualify as "electric blues" in my book. Aside from Vaughn, Winter and sometimes Clapton, IMHO most of others play some variant of blues rock that is more rock than blues.

In addition to Vaughn, Winter or Clapton (sometimes) this insufferable purist much prefers Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin or Elmore James. Or Hound Dog Taylor. Or Slim Harpo. Or...

Spike

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
How about Rory Gallagher?

I'd definetly accept Ten Years After as not being blues. They rocked out Goodmorning Little Schoolgirl completely. But anyway for the 'real' blues I tend to preffer the acoustic stuff more than the electric. Although I do like solo-electric blues stuff.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
I'd go with Rory Gallagher as well. Not sure about the "insufferable blues purist" though. ;)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online