Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Dry The River
dry-the-river.jpg

DRY_THE_RIVER_1.28.1.jpg
\
dry-the-river_0.jpg

F***!!! I just heard this band over the past couple hours, listened to their album three times over and looked up what I could on youtube! I ****ing love them! They have a unique sound and every track blends a haunting, spiritual and epic sound into one package! These guys pack an emotional punch sung in singer Peter Liddells beautiful tenor. Every lines sung with drama and urgency into soaring choruses. This may be a bold prediction but I predict I've already found what will be my favorite album by a new group this year! Some of this material gives me chills! The debut album is called:

Shallow Bed
folderfou.jpg

The singles are actually pretty good representations of their quality though not necessarily their peak of their sound at least in my case. Still in the following, as the lead singer sings the bold lyrics:

"I loved you in the best way possible"

It's a statement that's simple yet fresh and sung with a conviction that would make Bono proud.

No Rest

The next single, "Weights and Measures", evokes a more heavenly ethereal blend of Mumford and Sons as sang by a chorus of Jeff Buckleys. This is my preferred single and the cascading wall of sound here is stunning.

Weights and Measures

Now on the deeper cuts of the album here are two of my faves. The first "Demons" starts the second half of the album where I went from liking the album to reeeaaally liking the album. Not a knock on the album but it really kicks into gear at the latter half. This song is pure alternative gospel despite the title:

Demons

The second is my first initial fave but that may change. The transition this song makes is just awesome. The beautiful choir like presence turns almost into a distorted screamo song. It's all so seamless and beautiful it really grabbed me! Love it!

The Lion's Den
(It makes me sad they cut a minute off of the album version :( but not on the live which is great :D)

Anyway, will you guys like it as much as I did. Probably not aaass much :tongue: but that's not the point. I'm excited and hopefully you will a little for this cool new blood on the music scene! :grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Coincidence Sooty!!! I just discovered them the other day. Weights And Measures - I can't fault that song. The music, the voice ........................ makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Definitely will be forking out for Shallow Bed :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Coincidence Sooty!!! I just discovered them the other day. Weights And Measures - I can't fault that song. The music, the voice ........................ makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Definitely will be forking out for Shallow Bed :)

Me toooo!!!! :D The whole album is great! I'm glad they have a buzz starting where other people are starting to come across them! :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
WOW!!!! :pullhair:

That first song is AWESOME!!!

I linked it to my FB right away!! I will check out the rest tonight!!

Great thread!! :cheers2

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm sure I will. NO REST (when it kicked it) made me well up a bit. Very powerful

:grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Well I listened to all the rest!!

I like the studio version better of No Rest, but that live version was cool. Looking into maybe picking this up. Would it be fair to say that there's a bit of Mumford and Sons to these guys sound wise??

If not, it reminds me of something.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Well I listened to all the rest!!

I like the studio version better of No Rest, but that live version was cool. Looking into maybe picking this up. Would it be fair to say that there's a bit of Mumford and Sons to these guys sound wise??

If not, it reminds me of something.

Yeah, it's definitely has a lot of similarities there but less rootsy and folksy and more Emo, Alternative Rock with a strong Gospel influence! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online