Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
We had an old thread from back in 2005! Thought these fun party animals needed some lovin'!! Here we go...direct from the cover of the Rolling Stone.......

DR. HOOK & THE MEDICINE SHOW

icine-Show-Rolling-Stone-no-131-March-1973-Posters.jpg

Official Website

1971 Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show
1972 Sloppy Seconds
1973 Belly Up! 141
1975 Ballad of Lucy Jordan
Bankrupt
1976 A Little Bit More
1977 Makin' Love and Music
1978 Pleasure and Pain
1979 Sometimes You Win
1980 Rising
1982 Players in the Dark
1983 Let Me Drink From Your Well

Cover of the Rolling Stones

Carry Me, Carrie

Sylvia's Mother

DrHook_ZigZag.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Re: The Official Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show Thread

Another one of those Blast from the past bands..
They were big and kicking out one hit after another..
Sylvia's Mother probably has to be my favorite from what I have heard which is mainly on the radio..
Cover of the Rolling Stone was a huge hit for them and after immense play time on the old RADIO.. I was happy to see it starting to collect dust..
But I lump them up with bands like Mongo Jerry. And Black Oak Arkansas..
I think the 70's was a time some bands wanted to put out some wankers for songs..:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Everybody's Making It Big But Me

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Just an all around fun band in my view. I loved "Cover of the Rolling Stone", we used to sing that one on the way to work.

Shel Silverstein had a great way of writing off the wall lyrics, they don't make bands like Dr. Hook anymore.

When they went more mainstream later in the 70's and into the 80's I didn't like them nearly as much,,,some decent pop songs but nothing like the raucous fun tunes from the early years.

Penicillin Penny.

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^ I agree with that LG!! The old Dr. Hook was alot more fun!!

Reaction score

As every one else said.... an incredibly fun band, an unbelievably fun band... it's dirty, raunchy, funny, and cool... I don't see anything bad about it, Cover Of The Rolling stone is fun to blow out the speakers to:tongue:

muzik_guy

Certified Music Geek
Reaction score

The '70-'75 era of this band is hard to top. They were irreverent, raucous, hilarious & stoned out of their everlovin' minds. Thanks to Silverstein's songwriting! Their move to Capitol effectively neutered them musically & it was adult-contemporary hell from then onward. Thanks god they packed it in when they did. Now Loccorriere & Sawyer tour separately under the Dr Hook banner.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

The '70-'75 era of this band is hard to top. They were irreverent, raucous, hilarious & stoned out of their everlovin' minds. Thanks to Silverstein's songwriting! Their move to Capitol effectively neutered them musically & it was adult-contemporary hell from then onward. Thanks god they packed it in when they did. Now Loccorriere & Sawyer tour separately under the Dr Hook banner.

Couldn't agree more. The early material was the best for this band. The more commercial / radio friendly side was charming but nothing like the old stuff.

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Dr. Hook

Ray Sawyer(eye patch) is from Mobile county Alabama which is where I live now and as a matter of fact lives just 40-50 miles from where I live now.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Glad to hear Ray is still alive and kicking.:D

I've always been a fan of the OLD Dr. Hook before they went mainstream to make more money. Can't blame them for wanting more success but their early material with Shel Silverstine is hilarious and puts the later songs in the shade for my money.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online