ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
NOLA
NOLA-Down_cover.jpg

Released September 19, 1995
Recorded August 29, 1994 – January 22, 1995
Genres Heavy metal, sludge metal, stoner metal, southern metal

It literally seems that on this album nothing was done wrong. From the more widely known songs of Temptations Wings, Lifer, Rehab, Hail the Leaf, Eyes of the South, Losing All, Stone the Crow, and Bury Me in Smoke; to the less heard Pillars of Eternity, Underneath Everything, Jail, Pray for the Locusts (guitar interlude), and Swan Song, this album doesn't have one less than great track.

Instrumentally it is flawless.

Kirk and Pepper keep you wanting more of their dueling guitars, as they switch between solo and rhythm so effortlessly.

Bower's drumming is very powerful. It remains simple and enhances the overall experience without trying to draw attention from the overall feel.

Kirk recorded the session bass and when it does not follow the guitars you can hear it rumble. Simple, but it fits..

Phil shows a clearner side of his singing. Nothing like what he can usually be heard singing in VOP or FBD. While he showed a Halford like vocal range in Cowboys from Hell he does not do that here. Just plain clean singing, but he does however manage to throw in his trademark screeches, and screams at the best of times.

From start to finish this album keeps you there in its atmosphere. Lyrically it deals with personal struggles, drugs, misery, and life. It seems as if almost every song is a single. This album is masterful and a must have for metal fans.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Down - NOLA

I prefer Down III Over the Under, that one was also flawless imo
But good review, Nola certainly was a fantastic release :D

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I prefer Down III Over the Under, that one was also flawless imo
But good review, Nola certainly was a fantastic release :D

I am actually listening to Down III Over The Under right now haha. It's a good album. I find it to be a bit thin in the vocals, but musically it is right up there with NOLA. The snare in Over The Under could be a bit better sounding as well, but it is a great album as well.

Thanks man. I'm looking forward to their new material. Also looking forward to seeing them live again.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I am actually listening to Down III Over The Under right now haha. It's a good album. I find it to be a bit thin in the vocals, but musically it is right up there with NOLA. The snare in Over The Under could be a bit better sounding as well, but it is a great album as well.

Thanks man. I'm looking forward to their new material. Also looking forward to seeing them live again.

I hope Down come to Australia, would love seeing them live.
What did you think of Down II?
I liked it but wasn't as good as Nola and Over the Under.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I hope Down come to Australia, would love seeing them live.
What did you think of Down II?
I liked it but wasn't as good as Nola and Over the Under.

I saw them with the Melvins a few years back. Actually met the band after. Phil was pretty cool. Jimmy was funny as hell so was Pepper.
I'm sure they will and when they do check them out.
I liked it, but it is the weakest out of their releases.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Listening to this album now.
My favourite songs are Rehab and Pillars of Eternity :D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Stone the Crow was another neat tune :D I love the fact Phil Anselmo doesn't always use snarling vocals.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Another thing about Down I like is Rex Brown is also part of the mix the former Pantera bassist.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online