Doug Sahm & The Sir Douglas Quintet

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
I didn't really know where to put this guy because he was so versatile in different music genres,Country,Blues Rock,Phychedlic rock,Tex Mex styles.I belive he deserves his own thread instead of an honerable mention here&there:bow:
thumbnailds2.jpg

Douglas Wayne Sahm (November 6, 1941 – November 18, 1999), was an American musician from Texas. Born in San Antonio, Texas, he was a child prodigy in country music, but became a significant figure in blues rock and other genres.[1] Today Sahm is considered one of the most important figures in what is identified as Tejano music. He was the founder and leader of the 1960s rock and roll band the Sir Douglas Quintet, and later with Augie Meyers, Freddy Fender and Flaco Jimenez in The Texas Tornados, and also in Los Super Seven supergroup.
Sahm was proficient on dozens of musical instruments and was a lifelong baseball fan.
In 1955 Sahm made his recording debut as Little Doug and the Bandits on the honky-tonk single "A Real American Joe." His voice had not even changed by this point. In high school, Sahm led gritty rock groups like the Dell Kings, the Mar-Kays, and the Pharoahs.
First recording

Doug Sahm&The Spirits

The Sir Douglas Quintet
sdq1.jpg

Sahm got together his friends Augie Meyers on keyboards, Frank Morin on saxophone, Harvey Kagan on bass, and Johnny Perez on drums to become the Sir Douglas Quintet. Sahm then wrote an infectious tune with a two-step Cajun rhythm. "She's About a Mover" featured a recurring Vox organ line that recalled a conjunto accordion sound, and it became an international hit, landing in the top twenty on the charts. The band toured the United States with soul legend James Brown, and appeared throughout Europe billed with the Rolling Stones and Beach Boys.

Sir Douglas Quintet list of singles
1965 - "She's About A Mover" (Tribe)
1966 - "The Rains Came" (Tribe)
1968 - "Mendocino" (Smash)
1969 - "It Didn't Even Bring Me Down" (Smash)
1969 - "Dynamite Woman" (Smash)
1969 - "At The Crossroads" (Smash)
1970 - "Nuevo Laredo" (Smash)
(Edit)-Sorry for the Quality of the vid,Was looking for the best sounding.
^^^ For the longest time I thought this tune was (Does anyboby know her:bonk:)

More to come!

(Source's)>> Index of Musician Biographies/Wikipedia

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Doug Sahm&The Sir Douglas Quintet

Cool thread!!! Here's an album list for these guys.

1966 - The Best of the Sir Douglas Quintet
1968 - Sir Douglas Quintet + 2 = Honkey Blues
1969 - Mendocino
1970 - 1+1+1=4
1970 - Together After Five
1971 - The Return of Doug Saldaña
1972 - Future Tense
1973 - Rough Edges
1977 - Live Love
1980 - Motive
1981 - Quintessence
1983 - Border Wave
1983 - Live Texas Tornado
1983 - Midnight Sun
1984 - Rio Medina
1985 - Luv Ya' Europa
1994 - Day Dreaming at Midnight
2006 - Live from Austin, Texas

Squidbilly

Tunes from the shed
Reaction score
Re: Doug Sahm&The Sir Douglas Quintet

^^^Thanks MP,I figured its time I earned my keep here:D

More on Sahm&The Quintet
The band broke up after a bust for marijuana possession in Corpus Christi, Texas. Sahm moved to San Francisco and formed the Honkey Blues Band, then later re-formed the Sir Douglas Quintet with a new lineup. Eventually Augie Meyers rejoined the quintet and they released the successful single and album "Mendocino". The record contained the song "At the Crossroads" with the Sahm line "You just can't live in Texas if you don't have a lot of soul".

The most pure&best version of (At the Crossroads) I could find

Sahm continued recording both as a solo artist and with the Sir Douglas Quintet. Sahm also had a couple of minor motion picture roles. In 1972, he and the Quintet appeared with Kris Kristofferson in Cisco Pike and in 1979 he was featured in More American Graffiti.

The Texas Tornados
In 1990 Sahm formed Tex-Mex supergroup the Texas Tornados with Freddy Fender, Augie Meyers and Flaco Jimenez. The group recorded four albums and won a Grammy.
Sahm also appears on the 1993 Uncle Tupelo album Anodyne on the song "Give Back the Key to my Heart". Sahm recorded a Grammy-winning solo album, The Last Real Texas Blues Band and recorded with yet another new formation of the Sir Douglas Quintet for SDQ '98.
Sahm died of a heart attack in his sleep in a motel room in Taos, New Mexico on November 18, 1999.
thumbnaildshill.jpg

From The Texas Tornados-Texas Rock for Country Rollers
Float away

(source's)Wikipedia/Index of musician biographies

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Nice thread! :D I remember "She's About A Mover", that's a great song, haven't heard it in yonks! Will definitely have to seek out this band. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online