Doo Wop music 1950's/early 60's

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
Here is a clearer version of "Teenage Love" by Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers.

I swear this song is stuck in my head forever...

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Three of MY faves from the early rock and roll pre-Beatles days are the Drifters' "There Goes My Baby",the Cadillacs' "Gloria" and the Flamingo's absolutely transcendent "I Only Have Eyes For You".My father was an original rock and roller from the mid and late fifties and owns many now highly obscure 45's and even 78's by the hundreds of doo-wop "hallway groups".As a matter of fact,he strongly recalls actually watching some of these supreme vocalists perform their magic live in the halls of buildings in Cambridge,MA.

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
I really like The Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes For You" too. In fact I just heard it while watching the movie "American Graffiti"...

I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Really a sin that most of the Doo Wop groups were never fully recognized for what they actually accomplished.Along with combos such as the Lettermen,Four Freshman,Everly Brothers,etc,singers such as these would later come into fruition as major influences on the great Brian Wilson who has worked so arduously in deriving optimum value from his vocal arrangements.And yes.I love hearing things like this in movies such as "American Graffiti" when the tunes are used to illustrate how important music is in the lives of the coming-of-age.

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
I'll add this one. What an amazing vocal...

Creation Of Love - Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
A couple more favorites from Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers...

I love the way this song ends :)

Baby Baby

And a very beautiful song...

Paper Castles

Am I building paper castles, paper castles high above?
Say it’s not a dream, and we’ll reign supreme
in our own little kingdom of love.
in our own little kingdom of love.

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
I bought a "Best Of" CD of Frankie Lymon's hits recently and have been listening to it a lot. I like this one too...

I'm Not a Know It All - Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
I thought I would share one more Frankie Lymon tune called...well...

Really nice song with another excellent vocal by Frankie. I'm becoming a big fan of his work 50+ years after...

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
What did you think of the bio-pic "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?"I never really knew too much about Lymon outside of his wonderful music and tragic early demise.

SloopJohnB

Reaction score
I haven't seen "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?" yet, but I have the DVD on order so I'll be watching it in the very near future. I know he had a short and tragic life, ending with his death from a heroin overdose at the age of 25 in 1968. I guess things went downhill fast for him after he went solo and his youthful voice changed. Looks like he was mixed up with drugs at a very early age. Very sad. I look forward to seeing the movie.

Here's another one.

Out In The Cold Again

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online