1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don McLean-American Pie

Discussion in 'Folk & Celtic' started by In The Dark, Sep 27, 2006.

1. robpape

robpape Member

I agree with the conclusions in most cases ...my only difference is that instead of Janis Joplin I always think of Joni Mitchell and the song Blue..for that reference

2. Mr. Bob Dobolina

Mr. Bob Dobolina Senior Member

"And while the King (Elvis) was looking down, the jester (Dylan) stole his thorny crown...", Man, I still love this tune.

3. atticusfinch

atticusfinch Junior Member

Although it is a classic song, i agree that it has been overplayed by radio stations, whether it be the abridged or the uncut version, and wouldn't be sorry if i never heard it again too. I much prefer Vincent, the lyrics and melody are just sublime, although they do play it on the radio, they don't tend to overplay it like American Pie.

4. Phil B.

Phil B. Far Out Man!

I believe the song has been overplayed as well. Does it make it any less powerful? I guess it does for some listeners. I don't listen to music much anymore on the radio (internet stream or otherwise).

For me, this song is still just as powerful as the first time I heard it. :pimp:

5. Sweaty

Sweaty ThE OtHeR rAmOnE

I still love to hear it and it still sounds fantastic every time I hear it, I would go and see him again anytime, I was privileged to see him:)

6. Sweaty

Sweaty ThE OtHeR rAmOnE

I have tickets to see the great man on the 40th Anniversary tour of American Pie in the Royal Albert Hall in London. This will be a great night and I am sure it will be a sell out:)

7. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

Pretty cool stuff :grinthumb

8. CP/M User

CP/M User Ace in the Hole

I love his revised version of "Castles in the Air", the original from the Tapestry album is good, though this version really blows me away due to the slower tempo and orchestrations. :D

9. LG

LG Fade To Black

^^That is a good song, I saw a vinyl copy of "American Pie" a couple weeks ago at my flea market...but the cover had seen better days so I passed.

10. CP/M User

CP/M User Ace in the Hole

Yeah the Revised version of "Castles in the Air" is a bit of a difficult song to track down. The original "Castles in the Air" song opens up on Don McLean's Debut album "Tapestry" which is faster in tempo with more of a Guitar/Keyboard (Synthesiser?) orientation sound about it, this remake came out in the early 80s.

Looks like the Revised version maybe on some Don McLean compilation albums though.