Dokken (Official Thread)

Pat Catalano

Reaction score
Re: Dokken...The Band Thread

Dream Warriors is an amazing song regardless of the corny Video. But if you need a Intro to Dokken try to pick up Under Lock and Key along with Tooth and Nail. Just my opinion but thats a good start. :)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I agree with Pat. I'd go with Under Lock and Key first for anyone who barely has their feet wet when it comes to Dokken.

invader

Reaction score

i got the lightning strikes again album yesterday.That was a waste of 20 euro

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score

That "Tooth & Nail" - "Under Lock and Key" - "Back for the Attack" series was, in my opinion, their masterpiece. Pilson had a very tasty, unique and round-sounding bass guitar sound that you wouldn't hear again until Empire by Queensryche and, to a certain extent, tracks like "Funny Vibe" from Vivid by Living Colour. George Lynch had the greatest tone in Tooth & Nail (that open G chord on the D-G strings in "When Heaven Comes Down" was BITING through the mix). My only complaint about Tooth & Nail was that some tracks were mixed a bit too hot for the (then) tape to handle... Heartless Heart was the worst example of this, followed by Bullets to Spare. Probably two of Dokken's most recognizable songs of all time come off that record: Into the Fire and Alone Again.

Under Lock and Key was not nearly as famous from what I could tell but "In My Dreams" has that rock-stead, mid-tempo walk beat that I love with Lynch and Pilson teaming up for that pristine 80s "crunch" (with the muted palm E chord). The Hunter has some pretty nice chords and, again, Pilson's just slapping that G on the E string like this is a funk song. I loved it.

Back for the Attack had a lot of songs on it, and much of the material was really, really good. Even some of the "deep tracks" (Sleepless Night, Behind the Wall) and, obviously, Mr. Scary; an epic work on Lynch's part. But I thought his guitar tone was a little on the thin side this record. :-( Like, Kiss of Death and Heaven Sent, both INCREDIBLE songs, had, IMO, guitar tracks that, if it weren't for the overall forcefulness of the mix, would have been too wirey to pull of that truly Heavy Metal sound.

So despite all of that, Tooth and Nail is my favorite album by Dokken. Played from beginning to end, you can truly imagine it played live, in that order. It had all of the right elements for a live show--a suspense-building intro before the lights come on and "Tooth and Nail," the title track, blows the doors off the stadium... You had your down tempo songs before closing out with that amazing track "Turn on the Action." Just beautiful, beautiful hard rockin' fun.

Ah, those were the days. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Nice post Dairenn.:tup:

Tooth & Nail is my favorite album, but I have only discovered Dokken a few months ago, thanks to Pat and Lynch and some other fans of the band in here.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I am a big Lynch fan, and I really like Dokken. "Tooth and Nail" is by far my favorite album although "Back for the Attack" is nothing to sneeze at. Of their "Live" albums, I like "Beast From the East"

Dokken - Walk Away (Acoustic)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score

I am a big Lynch fan, and I really like Dokken. "Tooth and Nail" is by far my favorite album although "Back for the Attack" is nothing to sneeze at. Of their "Live" albums, I like "Beast From the East"

There were just SO many tracks and none of it, absolutely none of it, was filler. If there was any doubt that Don and George were actual songwriters and not just teased-hair posers, it should have erased by that record. As I said, my gripe with their records mostly lies at the feet of the sound engineers and producers, not the band. Dokken gave the performance of their careers on Back for the Attack.

Herulf

Reaction score

I'm also a huge fan of Dokken and Lynch, and my fav Dokken albums are "Tooth and nail", "Under lock and key" and "Back for the attack". One album I like very much also is the Don Dokken solo release "Up from the ashes", similar in style to Dokken the band. "Dysfunctional" is a release I found too modern sounding at first, but it grew on me (though I like the first mix of the album better, the japanese version from 1994).

Oh, and the first two Lynch Mob albums rock as well! :bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online