1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Believe In Aliens

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by Southern Comfort, Feb 16, 2019.

1. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

Well I contend that they wouldn't keep it secret. Full stop.

Possibility 1. They have visited and presumably regularly visit in order to stamp down people's crops, and for some reason keep their existence semi secret. But not entirely secret. They tantalize with evidence that is frustratingly inadequate.

Possibility 2. They haven't visited and we know this because we can safely assume that they absolutely would have reasons that are much more important than stomping around in farmer's fields and anal probing (I don't even want to contemplate what that hoax is all about) to take on the huge endeavor of interstellar travel.

For me the main thing is that this stuff illustrates something that is a constant in propping up a lot of shaky beliefs.
    (Yes including theism but I'll spare us that discussion if possible)
    IMO the "evidence" doesn't form a clear picture because it is made up of what appears to me to be extremely suspect.
    And it's nature does the old circular logic thing.
    The issue of crop circles for instance. If we align the possibilities for their creation and assign likelihood to each we simply have to put extraterrestrial at the bottom of the list. It's that same old circular argument problem. Before you can invoke something as a causal agent you have to provide evidence, outside the question being considered, of it's existence. There are 2 moves here. Not just one. You simply can't use the crop circle mystery as evidence of the existence for something that is the source of the crop circle. Otherwise it is 100% as reasonable to say that it was leprechauns. And I know you are going to say that there is other "evidence" of extraterrestrials. But the problem is that the nature of that evidence is exactly the same. A mystery and then an unfounded contention that the mystery it'self is evidence of some cause. Whenever I encounter this very very common move my BS detector goes off full steam ahead.
    When evaluating the likelihood that extraterrestrials are the source of the phenomenon you have to first say "what evidence is there for the existence of extraterrestrials in the first place?" If the move of allowing the mystery to be evidence for the cause then anything, I mean anything, is provable. And whatever explanation we assign is just whatever story is the most popular. Not the most likely.
    And that is why we see an amalgamation of this sort of "evidence" behind all of these sort of phenomena. (and innumerable God's IMO)
    And when we further evaluate likelihoods we know, absolutely KNOW, that there have been a multitude of fake crop circles. We know that farmers exist, and we know that on occasion they screw with people's heads creating fake crop circles. It's been established. So when finished the percentages lean pretty hard against little green men. In fact they are on a par with leprechauns or space navigating Yetis and pretty much 100% in support of Clem and the Boys hitting the shine and fucking with the squares. And God bless them (no irony intended). I love those sort of crazy bastards.

When I was in Florida for a while a lot of the old retirees down there created fake UFO's.
    And they ran the local UFO investigating group.
    They'd hook in some idiots from up north by flying a remote control helicopter or a blimp with a bunch of LED lights and stuff festooned all over it around for a while
    and then once the squares were all carrying on about seeing a UFO they'd get them involved with the local group to make a report and the next thing you know they'd have some woman from New Jersey out in some swamp in the middle of the night in hip waders with a walkie talkie. Laughing their asses off and filming the whole fiasco. People have a lot of time on their hands.

Don't get me wrong. I freaking love crop circles.
    It's an absolute hoot.
    https://www.livescience.com/42368-crop-circle-hoaxes.html

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    doswizard likes this.
  2. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

That said...
    I find it entirely likely in fact probably that there is life elsewhere.
    But we may never be able to contact it any way depending on cosmic luck
    If we are far off in some backwater billions of light years from the next intelligent life forms we will never know it.
    Other parts of creation might be the Star Wars universe.
    We just don't know.
    As of now we are centuries away from even considering interstellar travel.
    And that's just to very near stars that we are like 99% sure don't support life.
    The known universe is 14.3 billion light years across.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    doswizard likes this.
  3. Nai Noswad

Nai Noswad Senior Member

Indeed!..what if we are the Aliens?..and some other astral plain has their own shit?

doswizard likes this.
  4. Southern Comfort

Southern Comfort Long Hair Tribe

Alot of very good points you make bikerdude.. The one thing that I've heard from the big guys who deal with this subject is that they use the excuse that "people" would think they are not keeping our skies safe from invaders. In other words, they sweep all stories under the rug to make everyone feel safer.
    Kinda like they make the choice to let us know any news of serious matters that don't start a panic. There are those who flat run this stuff into the ground.
    Alien memorabilia rakes in some serious cash.
    So yes a logical approach is all you have to make sense of crop circles and tall tale stories from so called video's of UFO's.

doswizard likes this.
  5. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

Can I be an alien?
    I don't want to be a member of this species any longer.
    It's gotten too embarrassing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  6. doswizard

doswizard "That Which does Not Kill Us makes Us Stronger!"

That the Sun will not rise Tomorrow is no less intelligible a Proposition and implies no more contradiction than the Affirmation that it will rise. We should in vain, therefore, attempt to demonstrate its falsehood.
    — David Hume

We should not be arguing intelligibly about the existence of anything; unless it exists only within our own minds.

o_O

7. doswizard

Why not Believe in Alien Existence?

Trust? That is an entirely other form of Belief.

8. doswizard

This is pretty Cool!

9. doswizard