Do like Jimi Hendrix's voice?

Metal Health

Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix is very well known for being one of the best guitarists of all time. I personally have never heard anyone talk about his voice though. He was the all-time lead singer for his Experience. What do you guys think of Jimi Hendrix's voice?

JimJam

Reaction score
I've read that Hendrix had doubts about his voice, at least during the recording of Are You Experienced. I love his voice and it never occurred to me to feel otherwise about it. It's bluesy and natural and in moments his phrasing is Dylanesque without losing that Hendrix essence.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Hendrix was infamous for his self-judgement and insecurity, especially in the early days. I have heard quite a few bootlegs in public performances where he just stops singing - followed by a loose disclaimer basically saying "I'll let the guitar talk".

I personally rate his voice right up there with any other blues, R&B, or soul singer. You can hear his voice bloom as he became more comfortable with his guitar work in front of crowds. The emotional intensity of his voice is remarkable (in my humble opinion).

Pop singer? No, but then, why would you listen to Jimi if you wanted pop?

Metal Health

Reaction score
I love his voice so much but it's just horrible that he doesn't get any credit at all for it. He was such a great guitarist, singer and a wonderful performer.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I personally rate his voice right up there with any other blues, R&B, or soul singer. You can hear his voice bloom as he became more comfortable with his guitar work in front of crowds. The emotional intensity of his voice is remarkable (in my humble opinion).

Totally agree with Phil here!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Love it. He had a smokey kind of quality to his deep voice and it was very alive, very human the way he would ad-lib and talk to the audience like the song was real as could be. Never heard a Hendrix song better than the original.

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I like Hendrix's voice myself. I also enjoy singers like Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler so I guess I'm less worried about a technically perfect voice and would rather hear someone who isn't necessarily a great singer in the traditional sense but whose voice suits their material, and I think Jimi was kind of like Knopfler in particular in the way that his voice fitted well around his guitar.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
I was just commenting to my brother the other day while listening to my double live sound track vinyl that Hendrix's voice was MUCH better then he gave himself credit for.

Answer: yeah I really like Hendrix's vocals ... he may not be the greatest vocalist technically but he sounds really good to me.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say Jimi first hit it big in The UK. I first saw him on TV in, I think, 1967, when I was 13 years old. I've got to tell you I was, like just about everybody else, completely blown away by him. We had never seen a performer anywhere close to what Jimi was doing. Rock royalty like The Stones and The Beatles were at his live gigs. This wasn't down purely to his guitar work. He was the whole package and fitted in perfectly to those times. For me the rock world has always been a place where people with less than perfect voices can express their art, and Jimi certainly did that.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online