Disco!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Disco was one of the important genre's of the 70's that most people my age (40+) have experienced and probably liked, to some extent. It was the music we danced to and what was blaring on the Pop Radio stations, and if you went to a "club", that was what the DJ's played. This was noted by music historians as the last big music movement ever created by a single population, the baby boomers!

The movies "Saturday Night Fever" and "Thank God It's Firday", also classics, spotlighted disco music, the dance styles, and the fashion. The popularity of these movies helped catapult Disco music to one of the number one genre's of the 70's.

Honestly, disco had the greatest beat ever....."the four-on-the-floor". That steady, reverberating beat that made you want to get up and dance. This beat remains the staple "dance" beat even in today's house and techno music.

Disco also ushered in a fashion statement. Synthetic shiny shirts with big collars, platform shoes, tight bell bottom pants and trouser suits made of polyester. Women's skirts rose above the knee, and "stack" shoes were hot! Even our hair was big, "feathered and fluffed" or "Afro". If you were a female hitting the dance floor, you wanted to sparkle and shine!! The guys wanted to show their chests by unbuttoning their shirts and big gold chains adorned their necks. Wasn't it Great?!!! lol

Anyway......Let's talk about Disco. What bands, songs, or things did you like during the 70's?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
yes she was! She was the first lady of "Love" :D

Bad_Girls_LP.jpg

Bad Girls released in 1979. A must have album for Disco Diva's.

Reaction score
song, le freak by chic, besides that..... the station is turned when it comes on this dj, allways introduces himself, heyyyy!!! its marty with the party and today were gonna play you some .......(list bands here)!!!!!!!!!!,
he never plays teh ones he lists though, he plays only fifties rock, and disco, hes on in the morning and has a section called seventies at seven, that lasts till nine =(

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Nice topic Magic.:grinthumb

During the years 1976 to around 1980, It just wasn't cool, at least among my friends in high school to enjoy disco music. "What, A Farewell To Kings is better than any disco song" they'd say. I was just beginning to immerse myself in blues/hard/progressive rock at that period however I secretly appreciated disco because I felt some of it was actually quite good, if you strip away the fad part.

Anyone remember a DJ named Steve Dahl? The disco sucks revolution reached it's zenith with a Disco Destruction rally he spearheaded during a baseball game at Chicago's Wrigley field sometime around 1979-80. Well, it turned into a near riot with people running out on the field, cops making arrests and I think the remaining game cancelled.

I enjoy hearing it these days on the local oldies station. There's some real fine music performed by some major talent back then. Hearing those songs also brings back a flood of memories. My older sis was heavily into it around 1978. All the clothes, going to the clubs, a new boyfriend every few months (inevitably driving some musclecar - this one guy, Paul, had a super sweet 70 Firebird Formula 400 with a four-gear in it) or spinning the latest Donna Summer or Chic album on the dad's hi-fi in the basement. I'd casually check out American Bandstand because she watched it religiously on Saturday mornings.

How 'bout some Boogie Nights from Heatwave and a little Jive Talkin from the Bee Gees.:cheers2

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
How about a little 80's disco?

I absolutely love this song. It's so campy and hilarious. :heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you, Odysseus.

Disco was big around here in 1977-80. Everyone went clubbing. We weren't ashamed to say we liked it either.

I faintly remember that riot, the Disco Demolition. Steve Dahl recorded a couple songs, in his campaign against disco, which are pretty funny.

Reaction score
My mind has expanded a bit, once again:D

A song, so unbelievably catchy... no disco discussion can be completed, unless someone has on their Boogie Shoes:grinthumb

I'm liking more and more of the band,.... may actually break down and buy the album:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online