dEUS (Official Thread)

Julie

Reaction score
dEUS!

Official Website

Okay, I figured I should really really make a thread for this band, because I completely love them.. They're the band I grew up with, they're Belgian and they're suuuuper talented!

Albums:

Worst Case Scenario (1994)
In a Bar, Under the Sea (1996)
The Ideal Crash (1999)
Pocket Revolution (2005)
Vantage Point (2008)[3]
Keep You Close (2011)
Following Sea (2012)

A little bit more about dEUS...:

If you want to be introduced to the rock scene in Belgium, dEUS is an excellent start. They're formed in 1991 and became to the attention when they won an important Rock Rally in Belgium. Shortly after they were offered a deal with Island Records.

Their first two albums, Worst Case Scenario and In a Bar Under the Sea, are my personal favorites. They're experimental and draw influences from Frank Zappa, Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart. Their following albums are more tuneful and accessible. Their two newest albums Pocket Revolution and Vantage Point drew influences from electronic music as well, sound less ehm... stubbly. I'm sorry for this weird metaphor, I don't know how else to explain it, haha.

The members of the band have continuously been changing. The only continuous members of the band are Tom Barman, the leadsinger, and Klaas Janszoons (Keyboards, violin). The other members go start their own bands, or just come and go. I think Tom Barman might be a little hard to work with. He comes across a little arrogant, but he gets away with it, because he's a genius. :grinthumb

Why you would like dEUS:
- They have a fiddler!
- Their attitude is awesome.
- Their songs are sometimes beautiful, sometimes crazy, sometimes inspiring, sometimes wilde...
- They are politically involved, they organized an anti-racist concert in Antwerp a few years back.
- Their lyrics are fascinating and full with references. You usually don't understand what they're talking about! :grinthumb
She had this thing about allistair crawlin', it was like a fascination
She had this thing about allistair crawlin', it was like a fascination

I don't mean to be rude

Hey, I wanna
I wanna testify hey
I wanna

Burton in a salad bar sweet like a candy bar
No more sugar for a clean genius in quarantine
I mean where's the love, where's the hate
What's a smiling face and a sunburned prostate for a man that great

Richard there, richard here, richard quoting shakespeare
Back and forth and back again, to be or not to be the man.
Lizzy's getting dizzy, she should've known it from the start
Being rich is just a lifestyle being alive is just a part
That's what makes a kilo heavier than a gram, mam

I don't mean to be rude
Great american nude

I got a gift from my mother, she got it for a dime
She got it from someone and I also don't mind
But it's just a phase, when I get graced
Can't tell the picture from a sound
I thought we would just call here:
Great american brown, great american brown

Fool smart, move fashion and the crowning on a brown man
Black is butter count the shaky hands
You see, I got it from my mother, she got it for a pop
Get the gallery connected, get the clientele to form
Suck a demon for a duck

I didn't mean to be rude, great american nude
Hey, I didn't mean to be rude, great american nude

Walk that walk, I'm looking for my pop

Burton in a salad bar sweet like a candy bar
No more sugar for a clean genius in quarantine
I mean where's the love, where's the hate
What's a smiling face and a sunburned prostate for a man that great

Great american nude, take american express
Walk that walk, walk that walk

That's what does it

Motif, motif, motif, motif, motif, motif
Motif, motif, motif

Great american nude, great american nude
Great american nude, great american nude

Why you would dislike dEUS:
- If you're a rock purist to the bone, you will not really like their newer stuff, because it sounds electronic music-influenced.
- If you don't like strange, some of their songs are a bit strange..
- They're from Antwerp.
- .. Pff I can't come up with more, honestly!

Time for some music :grinthumb
fell off the floor man

Nothing really ends

Suds & Soda

Instant Street

Favourite Game

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: dEUS

Very nicely done Julez.:tw:

OB has introduced me to a few Belgian bands, he always downplays them for some reason, but I like music from the continent...;)

(Any particular beer you recommend that goes with this band?...:D)

Julie

Reaction score

Very nicely done Julez.:tw:

OB has introduced me to a few Belgian bands, he always downplays them for some reason, but I like music from the continent...;)

(Any particular beer you recommend that goes with this band?...:D)

thank you LG!! :)

OB downplays them? grrrr!
No way!!! They're by far the most influential rock band in Belgium:) If you're good in Belgium, you've atleast played in one dEUS album! :p Mauro Pawlowski, the guitarist now, was the leadsinger and guitarist of Evil Superstars, Tim Vanhamel also played in Evil Superstars I think, started Millionaire and sometimes plays in Eagles of Death Metal, Stef Kamil Carlens started Zita Swoon, Rudy Trouvé went on to Kiss My Jazz, Dead Man Ray and The Love Substitutes, Danny Mommens started Vive La Fête (they're funny)...

These are all worth a listen! :) I'm still most fond of dEUS, though. I'm glad you like them, LG!

Julie

Reaction score

Grrr, I'm looking for a photo but I can't find it! I met Tom Barman when I was working at a festival. So I'm on a picture with him, and Justin Chancellor from Tool is on the picture as well! :D The quality of the picture is crap though, taken with a cellphone, but I want to find it.. grr!

Oh are you from England, that you say "the continent"? :) Ha, since dEUS is from Antwerp you should drink a beer from Antwerp! Butttt... Since I'm from Leuven I'll have to say good old Stella Artois;) I can't abandon my home town!! (and I'm also not a beer-expert, I don't know any famous Antwerp beers, they just have diamonds, awful accents, orthodox **** and great shopping).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like Stella Artois it is readily available here.:hab:

No I'm not from England, I just like saying "The Continent" every once is a while, makes me feel sophisticated.:grinthumb

Julie

Reaction score

Hahaha:D Sounds very sophisticated! I had only heard English peopel say it. When I do something like give them a kiss on the cheek, they exclaim: "Juu-Lieeee! How continental of youuu!!" like it's something dirty or something! Hehe. Where are you from then, LG?

Stella Artois is only 2.4 dollars in Leuven and I can bring you to a place where it's only 1.40! No wonder Europeans are drunks...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You are over 1,000 km's southwest of me Julez, seeing I live on the outskirts of Edmonton. Beer is not that expensive here, but compared to the prices in Belgium I have to agree, your money goes a lot further in a pub there than here. It also explains why my good friend OB is usually having trouble in university...seeing he spends as much time studying the "Brewers Art" as he does engineering...:heheh:

Julie

Reaction score

^ Do you know in what uni he is? Maybe I KNOW him, Belgium is so small!

I'm on exchange now in Canada so I pretty much had a beerless year (except for a leffe here and there, or try out some Canadian beer) but I just refuse to pay so much money for a beer!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

He did tell me once, but I have forgotten where he lives. I'll ask him the next time he shows up....he tells us he is studying but his absence coincides with the arrival of a new woman in his life so that is my theory behind him being busy all the time.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online