Denny Doherty: Mamas & Papas: R.I.P.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Denny Doherty, one of the male voices of the Mamas & Papas from the '60s, has died.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...oherty,1,4402723.story?coll=la-celebrity-news

"Monday, Monday" & "California Dreamin" will always be 2 of the greatest folk rock songs ever written, in my book.

I'll never forget Denny singing the line "Stopped into a church...I passed along the way...Well, I got down on my knees...& I began to pray..." along John & Cass & Michelle.

I miss that time of youthful innocence that they represented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wI6uAOHzvo

28661_Mamas_and_Papas_01_1966.jpg

Last edited:

deezee

Reaction score
Denny Doherty, one of the male voices of the Mamas & Papas from the '60s, has died.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...oherty,1,4402723.story?coll=la-celebrity-news

"Monday, Monday" & "California Dreamin" will always be 2 of the greatest folk rock songs ever written, in my book.

I'll never forget Denny singing the line "Stopped into a church...I passed along the way...Well, I got down on my knees...& I began to pray..." along John & Cass & Michelle.

I miss that time of youthful innocence that they represented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wI6uAOHzvo

28661_Mamas_and_Papas_01_1966.jpg

you and me both pooldude...

i was on a sophmore class trip, on a bus going north of new york city. it was snowing and generally miserable out as it can only be post xmas/pre-easter in the northeast. someone had a transistor radio (our version of an ipod..the only way it was possible to get music without it being plugged into anything) and when that song came on the radio everyone in the bus stopped talking and sang along. well okay....the girls stopped talking and sang along.the boys were still busy trying to be/act cool. i remember this so distinctly because it was on that class trip, i made a vow to myself to move to california. to this day when people ask me why i moved i always say "the mamas and the papas". his voice will be sorely missed. hope he meets up with cass..she always loved him....another one gone way too soon.
it's amazing to me that out of the 4 of them only michelle is still alive.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
It is sad to hear. Their music was some of the best. California Dreamin is one of those classic timeless songs. I enjoy it as much now as when it came out.

billtjr51

Reaction score
I remember when I first heard "Monday Monday" on the radio (AM radio) and had to go to the 5 & 10 cent store and buy the 45.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
Rhino did a terrific documentary on the M's and P's and Denny's interviews were a highlight. he really seemed to realize in a pretty ego-less way what was important about them and what a DAMNED good story it was.

he seemed a talented and humble man. I'm sure a story THAT good will continue to be told. One of Show Biz' damndest stories as far as I'm concerned.

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
Denny and Cass Elliott were formerly together in a folk group called the Mugwumps, which weren;t bad at all. I saw them with Peter, Paul and Mary when I was a little boy wiht my parents. That group also had John Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky. Elliott and Denny went on to the Mama's and the Papas and Zal and John formed the Lovin' Spoonful. Neat story.

billtjr51

Reaction score
I had a Peter Paul and Mary album when I was a youngster. I haven't thought about them in years. I also purchased The Mamas and the Papas album shortly after I bought the 45.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online