Dennis DeYoung wants a Styx reunion

Rockperson

Reaction score
Now I would love for Dennis to rejoin Styx, Gowan does an excellent job but from what I`ve seen recently on youtube etc, Dennis still has that magnificent voice of old. I saw Styx for the 2nd time a couple of months ago and they were fantastic, absolutely top class but with the improbable return of Dennis they would be at a higher level.

Regarding Journey, Perry will never rejoin, his voice was failing on his 1994 solo album, so 17 years later he would never do the classic Journey songs justice like Pineda does, I`m a huge fan of perry but from 1977 - 1986!

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is what happened to cause bad blood between JY/Tommy and Dennis.

I'm sure there;s more to it but this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
I just heard from a fellow bluegrass music lover that Tommy Shaw has been working with her. She writes bluegrass songs. Not sure where this is leading for him.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Have you listened to Tommy Shaw's solo album from a few months ago Truckin'? It's about as close to traditional country as you can get, I was really surprised when I listened to it.

"The Great Divide" I think it's called.

EJD1984

Reaction score
Hi - New to the Forums, and really late to this discussion, but I just need to add my two-cents worth (and frustration)

Sounds to me like Shaw and JY just don't want Dennis back...period. Kind of sad but we'll never know all the behind the scenes stuff that caused the schism in the first place.

I think that the biggest factor now as to why Tommy and JY don't want Dennis all boils down to money. From my understanding, Tommy and JY now jointly own the name Styx, and the majority of the touring profits go to them, whereas the other current musicians are on a paid salary status. Bringing Dennis back would mean splitting the concert returns three ways (four if Chuck were to be full time).

For me this is sad and frustrating on two points.
1. That is seems to have devolved down to just money at this point.
2. I have always seen Dennis DeYoung as the leader of the band, and really it was his band until Tommy and JY co-opted it from him.

90% of the time Dennis knew what direction to take the band in, and was very successful at it (Kilroy - good intentions trying to update/modernize the band, but.........mistakes happen). His was always the primary (if not only) producer on every album, until the Brave New World fiasco: JY and Tommy wouldn't let Dennis be the over all producer, and even edited-out/dismissed his parts on their songs during final mixing - Dennis didn't know this happened until just prior to the release.

I read this review of Cyclorama on All Music - and the last line really sums it up: "As evidenced by Cyclorama, DeYoung is just too big a missing piece of the Styx puzzle."

I just wish JY and Tommy would act like adults, and give the fans a true reunion. Maybe as a farewell album and tour.

OK - My rant for the day is over............LOL

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It never ceases to amaze me at the inner workings that go on inside rock bands. I didn't know the full story that led to DeYoung's departure but I do agree it's not really Styx without him, and I like Larry Gowan fine, he's done a good job filling in but I'm sure the majority of Styx's old fans would love to see Dennis back in the band even if it was for one last hurrah.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I like STYX with Gowan....been keeping up just fine with them and enjoying it. But Dennis?? He's the man for STYX! As much talent and charisma as Gowan may have....Dennis has MORE!!

Great performer, keyboardist and vocalist. Here he is in Chicago this year, and his crowds are getting bigger.

This clip has three classics Grand Illusion, Lady and Lorelei

Compare any of these with the Gowan versions (or JY's Lorelei) and that fast vibrato he carries and tell me this is not better. If anyone likes Gowan better, than I can't argue. All I can do is :confused:

Get Dennis back before you all get any older and give it one more try. :grinthumb

Now onto the GREATNESS :cheers2

EJD1984

Reaction score
^^It never ceases to amaze me at the inner workings that go on inside rock bands. I didn't know the full story that led to DeYoung's departure but I do agree it's not really Styx without him, and I like Larry Gowan fine, he's done a good job filling in but I'm sure the majority of Styx's old fans would love to see Dennis back in the band even if it was for one last hurrah.

It almost looks like that Tommy and JY had planned to push Dennis out during the Brave New World Sessions. Two things stick out. In the past, usually the number of written tracks on an album were just about evenly split between DeYoung and Shaw, and one or two from Young.

But looking at Brave New World, Dennis had just 5 of the 14 tracks, most of the others where either co-written by Shaw, Shaw/Young, Shaw/Blades - Which had never been done before.

I do believe the Dennis did have the viral infection, but he may have also been somewhat protesting (and delaying the tour), on what was happening at the time. And it sadly backfired. (just a guess)

This had to of been real painful.
Rockin The Paradise - CMN (YouTube)
Styx had already committed to preforming at the 1999 Children Miracle Network telethon, but by this point Dennis had been effectively fired from the band, and was his last performance with them.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It's tragic if indeed Dennis wasn't ready to tour due to health reasons that contributed to the falling out.

But...it is never too late to "bury the hatchet" and move forward all it would take is a little effort sort out the differences come to an understanding and then do a few shows to see how things went.

If Eddie and Dave can get together again(Although things seems a little murky about VH's future right now admittedly), then there is nothing that is impossible when it comes to a reunion.

Having said that, I won't be holding my breath waiting for JY or Tommy to embrace Dennis again.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online