Denis Payton: Dave Clark Five R.I.P.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Denis Payton, who played sax & rhythm guitar & sang backups for early British Invasion stars the Dave Clark Five, has died of cancer.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...2869009.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

Back in '63-'64-'65 the Dave Clark Five were one of the biggest rock groups in the world, with hits like "Glad All Over" & "Bits & Pieces" & "Do You Love Me" (nooww...that I...can dance...Watch me, now!).

There was a time when these guys' popularity was head to head with the Beatles. I dug 'em lots, when I was a kid.

dc5_gladf.jpg

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
Me too, pooldude. The very first album I ever owned was a Dave Clark Five album and there was a time when I thought of them, the Beatles, the Stones, Herman's Hermits and the Monkees as relative equals. Of course I was about 9 at the time.

aerozep

Reaction score
A heartfelt goodbye to DP,I was a B I G DC5 fan.........
In '64 there was a time when they were competition to the likes of the Beatles & the Stones as well as Herman's Hermits,the Kinks and others of the day.I know it's hard to believe now but I was around then and it's true.
They had some great tunes,nothing earth-shattering but great rock 'n' roll.

I have all of their American lps but their last one "Everybody Knows" it was pulled very quickly for whatever reason,I can't remember why.
LONG LIVE THE DAVE CLARK FIVE !
I can listen to them OVER & OVER...LOL
PEACE:wa:

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
I'm Feelin'...boomp boomp...Glad All O-va...Yes, I'm-a... Glad All O-va!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QInCFH8KOE4

37430359_e3cdeaebc7.jpg

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
I'm in pieces over this, Bits and Pieces. Sorry to see he died. DC5 was a great band.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
I did enjoy the singles by DC5. They had a great sound back in those heady early days of the "British Invasion". They never really progressed beyond that sound, it seems (at least, based on what I've heard), which is why, I suppose, they remain something of a "museum piece" in rock history, unlike their "British beat" rivals the Beatles and Stones...and seriously, at the outset, those three bands were considered the first wave of the "Invasion". Had DC5 progressed as the Beatles and Stones had, rock history would be somewhat different, actually.

aerozep

Reaction score
Little known fact,or maybe not..........the standing Paul Schaffer playing keys of Letterman fame is due to the standing Mike Smith of the DC5.He has stated this fact a couple of times during the Letterman shows,and said it while Mike was sitting in with the band one night.
Mike too has his own problems health-wise.....he has become partially paralized due to an accident a few years ago.
I hope he is as well as can be.
Peace:cheers:

SlickDick

Reaction score
The DC 5 even made a movie "Here we come again" I saw it on MTV and it was a good flick for 1966.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONVMollie

Members online