Review Demon's Eye - The Stranger Within

album review

scarabus

Reaction score
After reviewing the second record of this German band I decided to revisit the first one and write a review.
On this album Florian Pritsch is the keyboardplayer, he left before the recording of "Under The Neon".

The albums opens with synthesisers like Rainbow's Tarot Woman (on Rainbow Rising). Before the whole band joins in for "The Unknown Stranger".
This melodic song is straight from the Rainbow songbook. Keyboards lead into a great guitarsolo by Mark Zyk backed with oriental scales as leading melody.
"Sins Of The Father" starts with a heavy guitarriff, than the band joins in and Doogie shouts like David Coverdale in his best days.
The song has a nice groove and has some catchy vocallines. This song reminds me of the band Cornerstone with which Doogie recorded 4 studioalbums and 1 live album (also very recommended).
Nice guitarbreak followed by a short keyboardsolo.
Next one is 'The Best Of Times', a sweet ballad with passionate vocals by Doogie and a very subtle guitarsolo like Deep Purple's "When A Blind Man Cries".

"Ain't Nothing Better" starts again with typical Blackmore riff. Again very catchy vocals, long keyboardsolo that is followed by a long guitarsolo.
"Evil Comes This Way" opens with a bassline guitar and drums follow, than keyboards play a romantic melody before Doogie starts with some appropriate vocals.
Song changes from heavy to soft and back. The middle section slows down, with the bassline before another long guitarsolo follows.
"Heaven Again" is decent rocksong with an interesting middle section. Carefully leading into a psychedelic solo.
"A Foolish Man" is a faster rocksong with a heavy guitarsolo followed by a keyboardsolo leading to a some kind interplay like on "Burn".
"Midnight In Heaven Or Hell" is a slow rocksong with a guitar like "Man On The Silver Mountain", but the songs reminds me of the early Bad Company.
Than it's time for the highlight of this album, the 9 minute "Far Over The Rainbow".
Strong melody, great vocals, tight band. Could have been on Rainbow Rising.
After 2 and a half minutes synthesisers take over, backed with a tight rhythm section, making room for a blistering guitarsolo that goes on and on.
I've seen this song played live several times and it is really an amazing track. It could have been played by Blackmore himself.
After 8 minutes Doogie screams and the band picks up the song again. Great track perfectly executed.
"Brand New Life" is again a softer rocksong / ballad with Doogie delivering some great vocals and another guitar / keyboard battle.
"Le Vent Lament" is a Blackmoresque acoustic instrumental.
As a bonus track you get a (3 minute) longer version of "The Best Of Times". Beautiful.

After listening this album again I don't think this one is any lesser than "Under The Neon".
The difference, in my opnion, is that on the first album there are more similarities to Blackmore (Deep Purple / Rainbow).
On the second one they are more drifting to an own sound, with of course enough influences from Blackmore.

Here a link to some parts of the album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUIUqZTL-I

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online