That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
from classicrockmagazine.com

Def Leppard Prepare Live Album
mdome / News / 17/07/2010 08:29am

Def Leppard are putting together a live album, and might include an EP of new songs.

Frontman Joe Elliott told billboard.com: “We’ve got tentative plans to do a four- or five-track EP of new songs as part of it…”Vivian [Campbell, guitar) has been in the band 17 years, so I think he deserves a shot at being on a live record”.

Find out more at DEF LEPPARD.com // official web site

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think they should just do a live show of all their old songs on CD/DVD, and write some more new material for a complete album and release it later.

I am not a fan of EP's as a rule, most of the time they put all the tracks on the full sized album when it comes out.

Just my two cents worth.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I am not a fan of EP's as a rule, most of the time they put all the tracks on the full sized album when it comes out.

Just my two cents worth.

Funny you say that. I don't like EP's either.

However, I always looked at EP's with "new" studio tracks as containing stuff that was rejected from a previous full-length studio album. I don't know of many examples where bands would pack an EP with "killer" songs. Usually they do b-side quality stuff or rejected cuts from earlier albums just to get new product into stores and have fans salivating over "new" songs.

I also feel the same way about the inevitable one or two "new" songs from greatest hits albums and for that matter, the majority of stuff recorded exclusively for a movie soundtrack.

A lot of it is half-baked stuff that wasn't good enough to be used elsewhere on a more high-profile studio album.

This is a completely random example, out of nowhere, but it is the first one that pops into my head. I could probably name a dozen similar examples but here is just one.

Aerosmith has packed nearly every compilation (box set and hits) they've ever done with one or two new original songs. They've also done a couple songs that can only be found on soundtracks. I don't remember ANY of them ever being particularly good.

Same thing with Motley Crue, who included a lot of new songs on their compilations over the years. The majority of new stuff they put on non-studio albums was garbage compared to their "better" material.

In fact, Def Leppard arguably did the same thing themselves with the Retroactive album, in which they threw a pile of previously unused material on an album, mainly b-sides, soundtrack music or stuff Joe Elliott originally wrote for other artists. Yet it is my favorite Leppard album, go figure.

By the way, assuming this live album actually comes out, given Leppard's glacial like pace for releasing product, isn't this the first live album by Leppard? At least to be released on cd, anyway.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I am not sure Aeroplane...I only have 3 Def Leppard albums, more of a Priest/Maiden/Saxon fan myself.:D

A really good band I got into a couple of years ago, has around 8 studio albums, and three times they have released about 5 tracks on an EP that All ended up on the full length CD. Marketing or lack of time or songs ready to go, and maybe trying to keep their fans interested might be part of the reason, thankfully I am patient and just waited for the complete CD that came out within a year of the EP being issued.

I much prefer bands to do a B-side/Outtakes/Demos album than throw them on EP's constantly, but that is just my personal preference.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I must admit, I agree for the most part about the new songs in greatest hits usually being sub-par.

There is a few though that I quite like:

Crowded House released the song "Not The Girl You Think You Are" on their Greatest Hits album Recurring Dream.

And who could forget Tom Petty's last dance with Mary Jane:

So there are exception, but yeah, I agree for the most part bonus tracks/EP tracks etc are basically throwaways. Always good to check 'em out first though, sometimes the throwaways turn out to be a hit :grinthumb

(After all, Led Zeppelin didn't think too highly of Stairway to Heaven at first).

On the other hand, will be good to hear a live album by Def Leppard. I always enjoy live albums :grinthumb

Travelin' Man

Reaction score
While I'll admit to feeling indifferent to any new music that may be included on any live album by Def Leppard, I'm not even remotely indifferent to the inclusion of other songs like Rock Brigade, Wasted and Hello America.

I saw DL perform on a VH1 show (I don't recall the name) about 10 years ago. Joe Elliott's assertion was that since Phil Collen and Viv Campbell weren't with the band at time those songs were released, then they wouldn't perform them live. Bullshit, I say!

Those songs are Def Leppard classics and they helped launch the band. I don't give a damn if Phil and Viv weren't in the band at the time! Those songs are part of Def Leppard and to deny them is to deny the foundation that you built upon.

It's about the music that the band, in whatever form, created. Loving that music doesn't mean that we love the talents of Phil and Viv any less. It just means that we remember where the roots are dug in.

Last edited:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
While I'll admit to feeling indifferent to any new music that may be included on any live album by Def Leppard, I'm not even remotely indifferent to the inclusion of other songs like Rock Brigade, Wasted and Hello America.

I saw DL perform on a VH1 show (I don't recall the name) about 10 years ago. Joe Elliott's assertion was that since Phil Collen and Viv Campbell weren't with the band at time those songs were released, then they wouldn't perform them live. Bullshit, I say!

Those songs are Def Leppard classics and they helped launch the band. I don't give a damn if Phil and Viv weren't in the band at the time! Those songs are part of Def Leppard and to deny them is to deny the foundation that you built upon.

To me, that is just "code" for Joe Elliott and the rest of Def Leppard not being particularly fond of some of their old work. Joe Elliott and Jon Bon Jovi both have a tendency to put down some of the material from their earliest albums and distance themselves from it.

Which is why you commonly see them perform 2-hour sets with seemingly 2/3 of the songs being stuff they recorded over the past 10-15 years.

Joe probably thinks some of those songs are cheesy in retrospect and uses the fact that Phil/Viv weren't in the band then as an excuse not to perform it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online