Def Leppard - On Through The Night (1980)

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score
51VSVXn9SSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Facts

Release Date: 1980
Run Time: 43:47
Vocals: Joe Elliott
Guitar: Steve Clark
Guitar: Pete Willis
Bass: Rick Savage
Drums: Rick Allen

Tracks

1. Rock Brigade

This album starts out and the track kicks you in the face. One of their best early songs that you just never hear. The guitars are raw and the drummer just bashes it out. If you haven't heard anything from this album start out with this song.

2. Hello America

This song is a decent track. The only thing that reall bothers me is the annoying chorus of the song.

3. Sorrow is a Woman

The guitars are amazing on this song. The verses of the song slow down and show a vulnerability of the band. One of my favorite songs from Def Leppard.

4. It Could Be You

The guitars start to grind away then Joe lets out a scream--you know this is going to be a killer track. The riff is what makes this song along with Joe's vocals. It just sucks it is only 2 and a half minutes long.

5. Satellite

This album just turns out nice track after nice track. Willis and Clark never get the love the deserve. Their guitar work on this song shows some of their ability to layer and trade off.

6. When the Walls Came Tumbling Down

The thing about this song is that it sounds "darker" than the rest of the songs on the album. It starts out slow and then picks up pretty good. Not a bad track at all.

7. Wasted

Wow. I would stop there but wow still doesn't describe how great this song is. It talks about getting wasted and losing control. The guitar riff is catchy and just one of those songs you want to sing along to.

8. Rocks Off

One of the weaker songs on the album but the drumming is very nice.

9. It Don't Matter

Seriously, go look this song up on you tube. You probably never heard it and you need to. The band comes together so well on this song. This song reminds me of something Kiss would put out.

10. Answer to the Master

Another solid track with great guitar playing.

11. Overture

This song is a 7+ minute journey. It gives you slow guitar work, fast guitar work. A little bit of soft and a lot of heavy. Guitar solos in this song are top notch.

Final Thoughts

I hardly ever give an album a perfect 10 out of 10. These guys were basically kids giving us some top notch NWOBHM. The sad thing is that most lovers of Def Leppard have never heard of thier first two albums. This is one of the best debut albums of all time in my opinion.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: On Through The Night -Def Leppard

Great review, was one of the best debut albums I had listened to. Set the tone for Leppards follow up albums.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Rock Brigade was a GREAT way for one of my favorite bands of the 80's to burst onto the scene!

:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

My favorite Def Leppard album/ CD hands down! Without question! Wasted will always be a top tune for me and Overture was a "journey" as you said. had alot of Thin Lizzy qualities to it as well!

Just a great great debut! When DL was a NWOBHM band!

ANSWER TO THE MASTER!!!

:bow:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I should also add that it had a GREAT back cover!! Love this live shot!!

def_leppard_11.jpg

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score

Early Def Leppard was great stuff. Nice shot of the back cover..it has been ages since I have seen it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

The CD reissue has the back cover as a fold out :grinthumb

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

8. Rocks Off

One of the weaker songs on the album but the drumming is very nice.

Wow. I have to disagree....this song jams!

Love how the song switches speakers, from left and right during the middle guitar solo - insane!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I like Rocks Off myself!!! Gets me goin' :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Good review :grinthumb I played this album to death (along with Pyromania and High 'N' Dry) in the 80's - early Def Leppard is definitely my favourite era.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online