Deep Purple - Made in Japan (1972)

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Re: Deep Purple: Made in Japan

Did you know that Lester Bangs used to pull the stuffing out of Vicks inhalers and eat them? He was a mess, but man, he was the most entertaining writer to ever be published between the covers of a rock music rag. I forget the topic, but he was in the process of writing a "serious" non-music related piece for the Village Voice when he died. There will never be another like him.

Yeah, that's crazy Lester alright.:heheh:

Can't shed any light on the unfinished Village Voice piece however, he was writing a novel titled "All My Friends Are Hermits" when he died.

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score

You're right. I think he WAS already writing serious non-music stuff for the VV, and in the process of writing the book. Didn't know what it was called.

Philip Seymour Hoffman did a good job portraying him in "Almost Famous", IMO.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

You're right. I think he WAS already writing serious non-music stuff for the VV, and in the process of writing the book. Didn't know what it was called.

Philip Seymour Hoffman did a good job portraying him in "Almost Famous", IMO.

Agreed.:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Late to the party but that has to be one of the most fun review threads I have ever had the pleasure of reading Jackory. Great album and equally great write up.

:ty:

rtbuck

Reaction score

Great review! I don't listen to Deep Purple quite as much as I should but whenever I throw them on I can't stop listening to them. I was heavy into them in the late 70's/80's & always considered Blackmore right up there with Jeff Beck. I seen the Poll the other day with Burn vs Stormbringer. It was tough because I really love both albums & that made me pull out Deep Purple. Then this morning I noticed this review & seeing that I've been listening to Purple a bit more the last few days I had to read it & guess what album I have on right now...Made in Japan of course!!!!

For the record I really like the 'Made in Europe' album as well & even like the Last Concert in Japan with Tommy Bolin (which by the way I really like Come Taste the Band)

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score

Thank you so much.

You do know that I had a piece published in Rolling Stone, don't you?

----
----
----

Okay, I admit it was just a letter to the editor, but it sounds impressive, doesn't it? It was basically a comment on how Radiohead may well be this generation's Beatles.

Vintage

Vintage Rocker
Reaction score

Okay, I admit it was just a letter to the editor, but it sounds impressive, doesn't it? It was basically a comment on how Radiohead may well be this generation's Beatles.

I kind of agree with that.
:cheers:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

It was basically a comment on how Radiohead may well be this generation's Beatles.

I'm ok with Radiohead but I can't help but think that there are a whole lot of people that would really disagree with that.

*Waits patiently to see if Lynch will show up*

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score

Well, I wasn't dissing the Beatles, that's for sure. I'll scan it later and post it here. Truth be told, I am not a huge Radiohead fan anymore. I think "OK Computer" is a masterpiece, and "Kid A" almost as worthy. But they lost me at "Amnesiac" and now I can hardly bear the sound of Thom Yorke's whiny voice. But it's not about me. Some folks may think Radiohead is over-rated, but I really can't think of anyone else who has been so influential during the last 10 years.

jackory

The NEW King of Pop
Reaction score

Here's the Rolling Stone letter. If it doesn't seem to make sense to you, rest assured you are not alone. I don't know what point I was trying to make. Just confusing to me.

28ts3q.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online