Death

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Death was a protopunk/ garage rock band from Detroit, Michigan and formed in 1971. They were an all black trio and also brothers. They lead singer and guitarist David Hackley is currently dead from lung cancer.

They were widely completely unknown until 2008 when there album started making it way around record collectors who liked rare material. Then people start uploading their music on the internet. One of the member's son heard the band being played at a party and recognized his father's and uncle's voice on the song and asked his dad if he played in a band called Death.

Unfortunately in the early 1970's Motown was king and nobody wanted to hear an all black rock n roll band from Detroit. Most importantly most of the labels were scared away because of the band's name Death. David Hackley refused to change the name and ultimately kept them from being signed and heard.

If you would like to know more about the band there is an awesome documentary on them on netflix called "A Band Called Death.

"

Lady Stardust

Reaction score
A Band Called Death was, by far, my absolute favorite music documentary last year (I need to watch it again). Just such an amazing story, and exciting new-old music to listen to! Been following their kids' band Rough Francis as well, hoping they will really develop into a great band (not that they are bad)! Death will be receiving honors and performing with Rough Francis not too far from where I live next month, alas, I will not be able to go!

-Diana

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online