Reaction score
David Bowie
David%20Bowie%203.jpg

Official Website

David Bowie (1967)
Space Oddity (1969)
The Man Who Sold the World (1970)
Hunky Dory (1971)
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972)
Aladdin Sane (1973)
Pin Ups (1973)
Diamond Dogs (1974)
Young Americans (1975)
Station to Station (1976)
Low (1977)
Heroes (1977)
Lodger (1979)
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) (1980)
Let's Dance (1983)
Tonight (1984)
Never Let Me Down (1987)
Black Tie White Noise (1993)
Outside (1995)
Earthling (1997)
'Hours...' (1999)
Heathen (2002)
Reality (2003)
The Next Day (2013)

I'm not a David Bowie expert by any means but I know he definitely deserves a thread here so I'll get the ball rowing. Bowie is the ultimate chameleon in the world of music. In his long career, he was a 60's folk singer, an androgynous glam God (and influential one at that), a pop artist, a dabbler in soul, hard rock and electronica, etc. He's done nearly everything including co-writing with John Lennon, being a somewhat successful actor and collaborating with everyone from Mick Jagger to Queen to Bing Crosby to Trent Reznor!

Here are my personal Bowie highlights which are guaranteed to differ from the rest:

Labyrinth
labyrinth.jpg

I will always connect Bowie to this movie because it was my intro to him and I still love the movie! :grinthumb I actually like the music in it as well!

Magic Dance

Deram Anthology 1966-1968
album-deram-anthology.jpg

So I was young and trying to get into some older artist. I saw this c.d. in BMG and was like "David Bowie! Check! Space Oddity! Check! Cool I'll get this! Little did I know, before Space Oddity David sounded like this:

The Laughing Gnome

That was definitely my lesson in David's range of music! It still makes me laugh listening to it! :lmao:

One of the coolest collaborations he did I thought was with Trent Reznor! It showed that David could still hang and be as dark as those that idolized him!

David Bowie and Trent Reznor-I'm Afraid of Americans

That and this album by Marilyn Manson (which is my favorite)

Marilyn Manson-Mechanical Animals
Marilyn+Manson+-+Mechanical+Animals.jpg

has Bowie written all over it! It's obvious Bowie's stamp has not faded in the slightest!

So there is still plenty to cover here so let's celebrate one of the greatest, ballsiest innovators in music history!

Last edited by a moderator:

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
Re: David Bowie

I don't dig his Let's Dance RUBBISH!:):)

although stevie ray plays on that album. and i do like a few songs on it.

... or did ya mean just the song itself?

as for my bowie, and i love boatloads of bowie, my ultimate fave remains...

9a36225b9da0fb3b5d6ac010.L.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Kath is right, that is his best album and my favorite too.

Bry you are lucky Bowie was on my list, but I was going to put him in the 60's, he did 4 or 5 albums in that decade.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

Bowie is the ever changing chameleon who went with the times. Not afraid to change with the times might have hurt his fan base and critics. However, for me it shows his genius by changing he created some of the best music for that era. My favorite era is the Berlin years(Low and Heroes plus the Iggy Pop stuff) but I like several periods of Bowie. All his 70's albums are classic and you can pick on Let's Dance but after all these years I've learned to enjoy it too considering the crap Dance stuff that came about at that time, Bowie's stuff was better. I also liked his flop Tin Machine and then hooking up with NIN was awesome too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like Scary Monsters too, and it was not treated very well when it came out. I was not a fan of "Let's Dance" I admit that much, but I do have a compilation album of his later hits, kind of fills in the blanks for his post 70's catalog for me.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

as for my bowie, and i love boatloads of bowie, my ultimate fave remains...

9a36225b9da0fb3b5d6ac010.L.jpg

I agree with Kath. "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" is the very best from a sensational artist!

david_bowie_9.jpg

:grinthumb

Last edited:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Like everyone else I also think "Ziggy Stardust" is Bowie's masterpiece, though I would lament if I didn't bring up

I think "Hunky Dory" is another David Bowie masterpiece that is spearheaded by "Life On Mars?".

Also on a side note: On the cover of the "Ziggy Stardust" album there is a sign that clearly reads "K. West" just over David Bowie's head. Kayne West interpreters that as David Bowie acknowledging his greatness a whole 5 years before his birth.

Well....

Ok, not really, but doesn't that sounds like something Kayne would actually say?

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

It does indeed sound like something "Head Case" would say.

Thanks for mentioning one of David's Best albums Cosmic, I really like Hunky Dory, I played it yesterday in fact.:tup:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online