Davey Graham

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I picked up the Davey Graham 1968 album "Large As Life And Twice As Natural" in a charity shope and love it!!

His song Anji has been covered by Bert Jansch, Simon & Garfunkel and Chicken Shack.

Davey was rather unreliable and unpredictable which did little to advance his fame or endear him to concert organisers and the more commercial elements of the music world. In the late 60's he was booked for a tour of Australia but when the plane stopped for an hour in Bombay on route, he changed his plans and spent the next 6 months wandering through India :heheh: My kind of man :grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Brilliant Sunny he pioneered DADGAD tuning what a player..

Maajun (A Taste of Tangier)

:grinthumb

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
I just started getting into his music about 2 years ago, and have been totally blown away by him. He's become one of my all time favorite musicians, as well as my biggest influence on the acoustic guitar as of late. What a player, indeed!

Last edited:

robpape

Reaction score
Yes ...now along with Bert Jansch there must be a great Folk Club up there in Heaven !!

Heedblerk

Reaction score
One of my favourite musicians of all time - just such a natural player.

I got to see Davey play in Gateshead on his final tour. He only did a half hour set and then only sang on a couple of numbers, but it was still so good to see him. He did a signing after the show and I bought a cd of him playing live in 1966 - it's a great disc - a lot better than the After Hours cd. Live at St Andrews it's called - available from Rollercoaster Records Rock'n'Roll 50s 60s vinyl Singles Ep LP re-issues I guess!

He signed the disc and, when I told him that I go to see Robin Williamson who often says "Here's a song I learned off Davey Graham" his eyes lit up. "Oh, Robin!" he says, standing up before proudly declaring "You know, that man never wore a tie til he met me!"

A phenomenal talent!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online