Review Dave Mason - Alone Together (1970)

album review

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Artist: Dave Mason
Album: Alone Together
Released: In 1970 on Blue Thumb Records
MFSL: Remastered in 1993
Genre: Classic Rock

DaveMason-AloneTogether-Front.jpg

DaveMason-AloneTogether-Back.jpg

The Album

After being a key musician and songwriter for the band Traffic, Dave Mason struck out on his own in 1970 and began recording solo. “Alone Together” is his first solo release which also hosted a number of guest and session musicians:

• Delaney Bramlett - guitar, vocals (Delaney & Bonnie )
• Bonnie Bramlett – vocals
• Leon Russell - keyboards
• Carl Radle – bass (Delaney & Bonnie , Derek & The Dominoes, Eric Clapton)
• Chris Ethridge – bass (International Submarine Band, Flying Burrito Brothers)
• Larry Knechtel – bass (Bread)
• Jim Capaldi – drums (Traffic)
• Jim Gordon – drums (Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & The Dominoes, Little Richard)
• Jim Keltner – drums (George Harrison, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Plastic Ono Band)
• Michael DeTemple – guitar (Rick Danko Band)
• Don Preston – keyboards
• John Simon – keyboards (The Band)
• John Barbata – drums (The Turtles, Jefferson Airplane, CSN& Y)
• Rita Coolidge - vocals
• Mike Coolidge - vocals
• Claudia Lennear - vocals
• Lou Cooper - vocals
• Bob Norwood - vocals
• Jack Storti – vocals

The original album is a piece of artwork. The album cover folds out into an almost 4 foot poster which held a very uniquely marbled vinyl album with a psychedelic colored blue thumb print on the label.

dave_mason_1.jpg dave_mason_2.jpg

The Music

Dave had quite a bit of written songs left over from his time with Traffic and used some of this material on “Alone Together”. The songs are simple with smooth melodies. Dave has a great voice which is only enhanced by the guest vocalists creating some fabulous harmonies. You will hear awesome acoustic guitars embellished with electric guitars, along with some excellent wah-wah action. There is an un-credited jaw dropping solo from Eric Clapton at the end of “Look at You, Look at Me”. You will find a boogie woogie treat (Waitin’ On You) tucked neatly into the album, that is guaranteed to make you smile and tap your foot. The lyrics on “Alone Together” are well written and heartfelt, although, the song titles are lack luster. The piano and keyboard work is outstanding. Your ears will definitely take notice of the keyboard solo on “World in Changes” and the piano on “Sad and Deep As You”. There are also some cool fill-ins with the banjo on “Just a Song”. For me, the highlight of the album is the closing song, but the entire album is so smooth and flawless it is hard to pick an absolute favorite song.

This album is Dave Mason at his peak. The album is put together flawlessly and flows effortlessly from song to song. Excellent to listen to when you are in the mood to relax. Anyone who is a fan of Traffic will definitely love this album.​

My overall rating for listening pleasure:

imagesCAPPWVGY.jpg imagesCAPPWVGY.jpg imagesCAPPWVGY.jpg imagesCAPPWVGY.jpg imagesCAPPWVGY-1.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Dave Mason ~ Alone Together (1970)

^^I like his work in Traffic, I have all of their albums.

And I found the exact same album you posted so I'll get back to you once I've given it a listen.(The MFSL CD pressing :D)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have both the Vinyl and the MFSL :moon:

BTW, those are my uploads on Grooveshark, so I know they are good :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

MFSL CD > most vinyls...:D

Mr. T

Reaction score

Excellent album! I actually had the marble pressing you show here Magic but lost it in a burglary :wa

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Excellent album! I actually had the marble pressing you show here Magic but lost it in a burglary :wa

That sucks......a burglary :uh:

I actually saw this vinyl album on Ebay, but it didn't specify if the album was the marble pressing or not. They also pressed it in black vinyl.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Those special pressings look nice and all, but it's proven fact that they wear out much faster than the old carbon black vinyl records. MFSL invented their own formula, I think if properly cared for they would outlast any CD's or DVD's which are rated about 50 years. Shorter than when they first came out, everyone thought they would last forever, turns out UV rays and oxidization do affect them over time.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Classic album...solid all the way through...great stuff.

I highly recommend this album to anyone who doesn't have it. :)

:cheers2

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

I can listen to Dave Mason just about any time. This particular album sure does have some great musicians playing and singing on it. Another good one that you might not have heard was the duet album Dave did with Mama Cass?

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
This was a great album from start to finish :) Shouldn't have took more than you Gave appeared on the Welcome To The Canteen album featuring Traffic members and Dave Mason and is one of my favourite tracks of the era

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online