Dave Brockie (Gwar) found dead, 50.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Gwar frontman Dave Brockie found dead in Virginia home
Dave Brockie, who fronted the heavy metal band Gwar using the stage name Oderus Urungus, has been found dead in his Richmond, Va., home. He was 50.

According to band manager Jack Flanagan, one of Brockie's bandmates found him Sunday evening. Richmond police spokeswoman Dionne Waugh says officers received a report of a dead person at the home shortly before 7 p.m.

"It is with a saddened heart that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician and lead singer of Gwar passed away," Flanagan said in a statement released Monday. According to Flanagan, Brockie's next of kin has been notified and Richmond authorities plan to conduct a full autopsy. "My main focus right now is to look after my bandmates and his family. More information regarding his death shall be released as the details are confirmed."

Speaking to Richmond newspaper Style Weekly, which first reported Brockie's death Sunday night, former Gwar bassist Mike Bishop called Brockie "one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known. He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art."

Gwar, noted for its outlandishly grotesque costumes and intentionally offensive material, released its latest album, Battle Maximus, in September. Other albums include 1990's Scumdogs of the Universe, 2004's War Party and 2010's Bloody Pit of Horror.

Gwar has been nominated for Grammys twice during its 30-year career, receiving a best long-form music video nomination for Phallus in Wonderland in 1992 and a best metal performance nod in 1995 for S.F.W.

The group recently had announced its sixth annual Gwar-B-Q for Aug. 16 at Hadad's Lake near Richmond.

It's not the first death for the band. Guitarist Cory Smoot was found dead on the group's tour bus in 2011. The band subsequently retired his character, Flattus Maximus.​

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Definitely one of a kind band, not a really big fan of theirs' but still losing yet another musician is sad. I wonder if it was natural causes or...

:rip: Dave

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
:omg:

Dave's Gwar character was hilarious! He was lude, crude, rude, one helluva dude..........

uncensored foul language

brockie interviews himself

Oderus Urungus....the stars called for you.

:rip:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepowerdry1

Members online