Dark Castle

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
D a r k C a s t l e

azfcqc.jpg

Dark Castle is an American doom metal band formed in 2005. They released their first full-length album, Spirited Migration, in 2009. With their ace tattoos I wasn't surprised to find out they are both tattoo artists. Although there isn't likelihood of a new album on the rise anytime soon, I'm already building up anticipation and have great certainty they will go far. A killer band in a killer genre.

In an interview they shared some of their ranged influences :

x "We're into a lot of different types of music. As far as metal, some influences would be Death, Bathory, Yob, Neurosis. As far as 70s prog rock, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, King Crimson, Camel. We listen to a lot of multi-cultural world music types like middle eastern, Asian, Egyptian, African. Hip hop and classical too."

An elaboration on their song titles/meaning behind them :

x "The title of the album as well as the artwork refers to a spiritual journey, a path into a new perception and consciousness. Each of the song titles is a different step. Realizing the world of form is a dream and opening your eyes to the formless (Awake In Sleep). Breaking down past ways of thinking that have not worked, survival is threatened, and the need to adapt and change to evolve (Into The Past). Introducing the spiritual journey (Spirited Migration). Growing but fighting to become more aware (Growing Slowly). The journey is difficult but you persist (Weather The Storm). Perceiving a higher state of consciousness (Flight Beyond). Really feeling living things, and becoming a part of nature without labeling the circumstance or being. Finding the source. We belong to the land, the land does not belong to us (Grasping the Awe). The cycle of life, the man leaving the tree, going to the sea, dying and becoming part of the tree again, and the stillness behind all of that action (A Depth Returns)."

Band vs. Band Q & A :

Sleep or YOB
Both of them are obviously amazing, but we have to go with Yob, because of the creativity behind it. They do a lot with a little and have a very distinct sound.

Electric Wizard or Orange Goblin
Electric Wizard the only band who can make you feel high when you're not. Orange Goblin is badass though too.

Candlemass or Pentagram
Candlemass and Pentagram are tied for sure.

If you'd like to read the full interview, http://metalmark.blogspot.com/2009/06/interview-with-dark-castle.html

G e n r e
Doom Metal
Stoner Metal

R e v i e w s

x I'm not entirely sure why, but there's a very real sense of psychedelia and mysticism that permeates their debut LP Spirited Migration. It exists in every down-tempo riff, every moment of synthesized noise, every growled utterance of lyrics. In the process a suffocating atmosphere is created, and it is here that the album succeeds by leaps and bounds over so much other doom metal.

x The band is two members strong. There is no bass, only synthesized, grinding notes to fill in the space between axe and hammer. Beyond the obvious doom-oriented songwriting, there is a very strong post-metal feel ala Isis or even Neurosis, especially in the tempos and textures.

x The songs are thick and rich, viscous, heavy and — as much as I know several bassists who won’t want to hear it — don’t sound like they’re missing anything, despite the character and diversity that another instrument can bring to a given track or movement. Not bad for two people, and certainly a promising beginning for this Floridian duo. It feels like the kind of album that no matter what they do from here will be sought after in the coming years.

2u7twkm.jpg

M e m b e r s
Stevie Floyd - Vocals, Guitar
Rob Shaffer - Drums, Vocals, Synth

D i s c o g r a p h y

o9g7eq.jpg
Flight of Pegasus (2007)

107paja.jpg
Spirited Migration (2009)

T o r r e n t
Dark Castle - Spirited Migration (2009) [mp3@205] (download torrent) - TPB

M y s p a c e
Dark Castle on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

343np8k.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
After reading your intro, I listened to the first two songs and except for the vocals, which are not too bad all things considered, this band is good. I just wish they used clean vocals, but I know that is not likely to happen. I agree for two people their sound is surprisingly full, although I am a bass guitar freak admittedly.:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
What's funny is, isn't Dimmu Borgir's name dark Castle..or that's what Dimmu Borgor means? :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Actually I think this is one of the better bands I've heard like this because the vocals melded a lot more with the music and weren't distracting for me. I was just in a groove on the songs hear and actually felt chilled out! Cool stuff Grunge! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online