Damien Rice (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Damien Rice
Damien+Rice.jpg

I don't think one other artist in the 2,000's struck a chord with me as much as Damien Rice did! There is music that is enjoyable and then there is music that cuts through you to the bones and gives you chills! There is music and then there is music that stops time, burrows itself into every fiber of your being, hits every nerve, gets your heart racing, gets your skin raised with goosebumps and makes your spirit feel like it's elevating to a greater beyond. That's not music, it's art! There is not a dud in Damien's catalog of music, not a live performance that hasn't moved me and so far both his studio releases have been 5 star albums to me! His collaborative period with Lisa Hannigan is the best chemistry and result of a male female pairing I've ever heard! I could make a whole thread on Lisa as well but I'll control myself and keep it all contained in here! I'm going to make this a long and detailed thread so I won't be giving a lot away at once! I hope you will follow me as I tell the story of the greatest thing to happen in folk rock in a very long time!

damien_rice.jpg

Here's a sample of this artist for people who don't have any idea of who this artist is and a promise that this is just the sprinkles on the icing of the cake! These are the opening singles off of Damiens two studio albums O and 9!

The Blowers Daughter (From debut "O")
(my first Damien song like most, background story will come later)

9 Crimes (Lead single from sophomore album "9")
(may be Damiens biggest mainstream success, haunting song that's had so many covers)

Well, hope in the end I'll be able to give the gift of Damien to at least one single person! Peace for now! :grinthumb

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Damien Rice Thread

Yes Sooty, because of you I am a fan and have downloaded his music onto my mp3 player :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Yes Sooty, because of you I am a fan and have downloaded his music onto my mp3 player :grinthumb

Yep, me too. After you posted him in Musical Thirst way back when...I had to go and hunt down his music and promptly extract the audio from that performance of "I Remember". :D

Harkat

Reaction score

This is my fav Damien Rice song, thanks Soot:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Damien Rice Bio

DamienRice.png

The Basics:

. Born 1973
.Born in Celbridge, County Kildare, Ireland
. Besides being a vocalist has the following instruments in his repertoire:
  • Guitar
  • Piano
  • Cello
  • Violin
  • Rhodes piano
  • Wurlitzer
  • Drums

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Juniper
hqdefault.jpg
Damien Rice-Vocals
Paul Noonan-Drums
Dominic Philips-Guitars
Brian Crosby-Guitars

Before becoming a solo artist Damien was part of a band called Juniper under the odd moniker "Dodima" Rice! The band was picking up quite the buzz with their Weatherman track but the band ended when the label was pushing them to be something they weren't. In fact, one of the songs that Damien was pushing for was a track called Eskimo which would end up on his solo album! Damien left the band and they never came out with an album despite the potential they had! The rest of the band formed Bell X1! Here are some tracks from this short lived band:

Weatherman
(the single that got them buzz)

World Is Dead

Orchard
(like this one quite a bit)

You

Little Sister

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Damien's Transition: The Juniper Demos

The following are studio demos which Damien did with Juniper which signify that he was changing direction! In fact, the label wanted the label wanted an angrier band but Damien was creating songs closer to what he would do as a folk artist! In fact, a few of these ended up on his solo albums! :grinthumb

Sex Change

Toffee Pop

Then Go

These next one would end up redone for a Damien B-Side EP:

The Professor

The following would be recreated for Damiens debut O:

Amie

I Remember December
(shortened to I Remember, this is a very early version of Harkats vid)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

From the videos you posted Sooty I think I can say that I much prefer Damien as a solo artist than with Juniper.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online