Dale Griffin, drummer for Mott the Hoople, dies at 67

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Dale Griffin, drummer for Mott the Hoople, dies at 67

dale.jpg

Dale Griffin, the drummer and co-founder of the British glam-rock band Mott the Hoople, died Sunday after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease. He was 67.

His record label, Angel Air, confirmed the news.

Born in Ross-on-Wye, England, about 100 miles west of London, Griffin took an interest in music at an early age and performed in local bands including the Silence, Charles Kingsley Creation, the Doc Thomas Group, and the Shakedown Sound. He also earned the nickname “Buffin.”

Griffin and his bandmates scored a record deal and moved to London in 1969, where they worked with producer Guy Stevens. It was Stevens who christened them Mott the Hoople, after a novel by Willard Manus.

The group scored their biggest hit with “All the Young Dudes,” which was written and produced by David Bowie. Their other songs included “Roll Away the Stone” and “All the Way From Memphis.”

Mott the Hoople broke up in the mid-’70s, and Griffin went on to work as a producer for BBC live music sessions. The band reunited in 2009 for their 40th anniversary, but Griffin was already ill, though he did participate in encores.

Griffin is survived by his longtime partner Jean Smith.

LINK: Dale Griffin dies: Mott the Hoople drummer dead at 67 | EW.com

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
I remember the first time I heard Mott The Hoople .... it was Mott The Hoople Live and I was an instant fan. A few of my favorites from the band.

One of the Boys

Drivin Sister Rock & Roll

Rock & Roll Queen

Born Late '58

R.I.P Dale Griffin

Last edited:

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
^^

Some great choices there, @Vader!

Sad news about Dale!

They have some great tunes. Pretty much forgotten cult band of the 70s but one that deserves some recognition. Buffin was a great drummer. May he continue rocking on the other side.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online