Daily, Nightly and Ever So Rightly III *Chat Thread*

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by Riff Raff, Apr 11, 2017.

1. SanguineRemedy

SanguineRemedy Bloody bliss!

Thanks... I don't mean to sound sadistic or anything, but it makes me feel better when I know I ain't alone!

I used to have an addiction to any electronic. I was captivated at a young age and I used to practically live on the computer because I was sheltered a lot. I could possibly link my computer usage to insomnia but I do know from experiencing bipolar disorder and the many symptoms it presents that it's the culprit.

Anyway, I hope you and your son find your sleep schedule/good hour ratio. How old is he?

I mostly run and gun off of 5 hours now and it's fine for me.

2. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

He's 14.
    It's difficult.
    Trouble is now he's learned that he can get his way through his difficulties. It's difficult to tell what's real and what's him playing the angles.
    He had some time off while we dealt with his anxiety and when he went back he went into a situation where he could go to a study hall type situation if he got stressed.
    Well I put myself in his shoes. Kids ain't dumb and that's a license to kill.
    Got an email today that he got stressed out before math class and went to the Guidance Councilor and he's gonna be in the study hall the rest of the day. Math class.
    I know his stress is real but it's a balancing act.
    At this point I feel like I don't have too much control because I was raised that when it comes to your responsibilities a "swift kick in the butt" is not out of the question and I never ended up messed up by stress.
    I've been very very easy on him.
    The whole issue started last year when he got behind.
    He was lying about his homework and got behind.
    While he went on the internet and played games.
    When we/I found out about it I sort of blew a gasket because of his lying to our face.
    He wasn't happy about being yelled at and punished but I was of the "talk to the hand" opinion.
    This year he is super afraid of getting behind again and it's causing him to stress so I've been quiet as a church mouse and very supportive. But I'm out of my element. If I had pulled his shit my dad would have put his foot up my ass.
    All I did was a bit of yelling and take away his playstation.
    But his stress is real so I just worry.
    I leave the rest to his mom and the councilor.
    I'm out of the game.
    And I don't much like the feeling.
    He's a good kid over all and I know he's trying.
    But I don't know how to help.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    SanguineRemedy likes this.
  3. SanguineRemedy

I think you're doing fine. Perhaps he copes with stress by playing his games? Dopamine levels temporarily increase when you do well in them. I still play video games all of the time!

Good kids like him deserve better and he will strive for it... And if not, he will find out the hard way like I did.

My dad, in a fit of blind rage, destroyed my keyboard, mouse, and monitor because I told him I wasn't going to get off of the computer just because he said to because I didn't care what he had to say.

Oooh, man. My ass was grass. My desktop was even hidden and all of the wiring too. Never piss off an old man, especially YOURS when he's received bullet wounds and scars all over his body and you know he takes no shit.

But yeah, he apologized for it but I had to be put down. My life would have been a spiraling abyss if my parents didn't straighten me.

But you are doing a good job. Your son is still young and the teenage angst isn't unbecoming but like I said, he deserves better and I'm sure he'll strive for it...

4. BikerDude

BikerDude Dude

With my old man you just knew that you needed to keep your shit squared up or you'd have to deal with him.
    If it wasn't for him I definitely would have fucked off my entire youth.
    He kept us on track.
    He rarely needed to remind us.
    We knew not to piss him off.
    But by the same token the entire summer revolved around the yearly fishing trip where we would tent camp and fish for a whole week.
    Even now when I visit that place it brings back great memories.

5. Vader

Vader Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars

2017-11-06_21.12.38.jpg I was really pissed off all day ,today. I just got out my headphones and spun this album and chatted with an old Aussie mate of mine, I hadn't talked to very much in the last couple months, and damn, I feel much better, now.

Music & friends, 2 of the important things in life.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    joker1961, SanguineRemedy and bbif like this.
  6. SanguineRemedy

@Vader Better to be pissed off than pissed on lol

7. runningshoes

runningshoes Great White North

Sounds like my son. He's 12 now and suffering horribly from anxiety. He's OCD and I fear he's heading towards my bi-polar diagnoses when I was 14.

8. SanguineRemedy

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was 20. Was hospitalized after a manic episode of acting very recklessly.

I also possess tendencies of OCD as a result of my diagnosis.

9. joker1961

joker1961 Mad Frog

I`m also bipolar, BPD the only issue I have is the people whom don't understand the facts of the mental health issues its like a members only club lol

10. SanguineRemedy

Yes, Joker, you're right... It's very difficult to understand someone with a mental disorder even more so than just the actual disease. Everyone has a unique type of suffering, I guess.

I'm just glad to be properly treated and my coping habits are healthier than they were before.

What makes me terribly sad is when people succumb to any illness, especially mental disorders, because they were either neglected and/or they didn't realize it or they refused to accept it as something detrimental and then they descend into a dark state.

Some people go on living untreated and nobody will ever notice...

joker1961 likes this.