3. Bad Thing
4. Too Cold In Winter
5. Hand Me Down
6. Gotta Love Me
7. Carnival
8. Drive It Home
9. Peace Pipe
10. Saving Grace

Cry Of Love's Brother recieved ample FM airplay back in the day with it's hard blues-rock/roots/southern boogie formula that was often compared to most notably Free/Bad Co. as vocalist Kelly Holland sounds very reminescent of Paul Rodgers and to a lesser degree to that of Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes. Guitarist Audley Freed laid down some damn good catchy riffs and solos obviously influenced by Hendrix and Trower amongst others.

Vocalist Kelly Holland left the band after this release and the band's next album, Diamonds & Debris was released four years later and lacked the magic of Brother and guitarist Audley Freed went onto to join the Black Crowes the following year.

I had originally purchased the album on the cassette until my car tape deck ate the tape. Didn't you hate that. So I immediately went out and purchased the CD. An album I place in the "lost classics" category. "Peace Pipe" has oneof the greatest bass lines I've heard. Not a bad track on the album.

Four-Half-Stars.jpg

Fever

Reaction score
Re: Brother - Cry Of Love

I had to respond since Cry Of Love is a local band for me::grinthumb

It's a shame they didn't last longer.Kelly Holland is currently in a band called Crush
Crush Home Page
Robert Kearns now plays bass in Lynyrd Skynyrd while Jason Patterson is the drummer for Nantucket

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Brother - Cry Of Love

Very cool band, too bad they didn't get big. I hadn't heard of them until Peace Pipe started hitting the airwaves and I immediately went out and bought the album. All in all a good album, but Peace Pipe will always be my favorite from them.

BTW: I think the album came out in 1992.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
Re: Cry of Love - Brother

I heard this album for the first time about a month ago and I loved it.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

I was introduced to this band by a guy I partied with a lot right after high school.
The guy really knew his music and was into obscure rock bands (at least they were obscure to me at the time). Thanks Tommy, wherever you are! :grinthumb

I love the entire album. It's one of those rare albums (IMHO) that really does not have a bad song on it.

That being said, I think my favorite (as of tonight) is "Bad Thing". It has that great rhythm section shuffle going on, and the lyrics have that affirmation of making changes in your life.

Thanks for the review Joe! :grinthumb

joe

Reaction score

Good to see that band is remembered and the musicians are still playin'.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

I love this band, especially the Peace Pipe track. If my memory serves me right, it was released as a single with a video, which was shown on the Raw Power/Noisy Mothers TV show here in the UK in the early nineties.

Burt68

Reaction score
Re: Brother - Cry of Love (1992)

Robert Kearns (Bass) has left Lynyrd Skynyrd (Replaced by Johnny Colt formerly of the Black Crowes) and the rumor mill says he has joined back up with Audley Freed to start another band.

Keep your fingers crossed kids.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online