CRF Trivia

runtfan

Reaction score
Also, since we're on a little Journey trip right now - Journey's original drummer was Prairie Prince - aka drummer for The Tubes ( as well as many others). As I heard it he was playing with both bands and The Tubes got their big break first so he left Journey, who then recruited Aynsley Dunbar to fill the void.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
So, if the info about Golden Gate Rhythm Section is wrong, I will remove it and be ashamed.

As Jake informed us Journey were called Golden Gate Rhythm Section in the very early beginnings. The name wasn't a succes and a roadie thought up the name Journey.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^ Don't be ashamed, I haven't double-checked all my 'facts' - I'm just hoping someone will point out the errors.

Journey were a strong Santana spin-off with weak vocals. Steve Perry was a fine singer, so they changed their style to accomodate him. They were almost two separate bands, a bit like Fleetwood Mac (Green/Buckingham-Nicks), Deep Purple (Rod Evans/Ian Gillan/Coverdale-Hughes) or Black Sabbath (Osbourne/Dio). There must be others.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
^^^ That usually happens when there is a change in the lead singer of the group. A few more examples are Asia, Bad Company, The Doobie Brothers and Jefferson Starship. But not always, as I would consider Yes as having two separate band eras and there was no change in the lead vocals.

BTW, I wouldn't say Greg Rolie's vocals were weak. After all, he sang some of Santana's early hits. But Journey's album sales became stagnant, so Columbia Records requested that they change their musical style. First they tried Robert Fleischman, and that didn't work out so well. Next was Steve Perry, and that worked out pretty well for them.

Found this on YT, very interesting.

Last edited:

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
I always thought Johnny Winter (Feb 23,1944) was much older than his "baby" brother Edgar (Dec 28,1946). But the fact is that Johnny is just two years older than Edgar. Well almost three years, but still he isn't that much older.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Boston guitarist Tom Scholz has 34 patents to his name, including the Rockman, a now discontinued headphone amp that was favored by many touring musicians.

Greg Graffin, the lead singer with Bad Religion, has a PhD in (I think) zoology from Cornell and has an extinct bird named after him, Qiliania graffini.

Robert Leonard, original Sha Na Na lead vocalist, has a PHD (I think) in linguistics from Columbia. He is now a professor and the director of Hofstra University’s Institute for Forensic Linguistics, Threat Assessment and Strategic Analysis.

Sterling Morrison, of the Velvet Underground, earned a PhD in mediaeval literature from the University of Texas in Austin.

Tom Morello of RATM graduated from Harvard.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
Hey Joe?

Who wrote the song "Hey Joe"?

From Wikipedia:
"While claimed by the late Tim Rose to be a traditional song, or often erroneously attributed to the pen of American musician Dino Valenti (who also went by the names Chester or Chet Powers, and Jesse Farrow), Hey Joe was registered for copyright in the U.S. in 1962 by Billy Roberts. Scottish folk singer Len Partridge has claimed that he helped write the song with Roberts when they both performed in clubs in Edinburgh in 1956. Other sources (including singer Pat Craig), claim that Roberts assigned the rights to the song to his friend Valenti while Valenti was in jail, in order to give him some income upon release."

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online