Create Your Own Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Holy hell, necrobump.

I'll give myself 15 minutes to think about this one.

In no particular order:

The Shangri-Las
(Original bad girls.)

Elvis Presley
(Because he was the King.)

Buddy Holly
(Rockabilly father.)

Little Richard
(Breaking the barriers of race and taking it well into the music business with his flamboyant personality, incredible sense of rhythm, and ability to get people moving.)

Janis Joplin
(I don't even know what I could even possibly say about this woman that hasn't been stated a million times. She was incredible.)

The Turtles
(Half-assed bubblegum pop with a biting edge of sarcasm. These guys were weird, and talented.)

Jefferson Airplane
(Despite the lineup changes and name changes, the Airplane defined the San Francisco sound in the late 60s.)

Pink Floyd
(They should have a genre all their own. I'd call it 'head prog'.)

The Doors
(They were like a little blip on the radar but have left a lasting impression.)

The Velvet Underground
(Dark, and delightfully strange. Friendly ties with Andy Warhol. What more could you need from a weird 60s band?)

The Beatles
(These are the Beatles we're talking about. The father, son, holy ghost, and ... uh, Ringo. Need I elaborate?)

Genesis
(This is a band that survived many, many years. From prog to pop with more grace and style than many others. Despite line-up changes throughout the years, this band is loved.)

Simon & Garfunkel
(Gentle music for gentle souls, setting the pace for many similar acts, even to this day.)

T. Rex
(From mythical folk to grinding glam in just a few easy steps and the flip of the hair. Beautiful.)

KISS
(Taking glam to a whole new level with their outlandish style and stage presence.)

Led Zeppelin
(One of the most well-known and beloved bands in all of rock history.)

David Bowie
(Rock's chameleon. His ever-changing personal and musical style kept everyone guessing. Women and men alike adore him, and he's capable of easily charming the masses.)

Adam Ant
(Sexy, suave, and full of pompous rock glory.)

Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music
(The fathers of art in music. Real, smooth, obscure, bizarre art. It wasn't glam. It was art. As for Bryan, well, he's got a voice that could melt steel, and mold it into a swan.)

Billy Joel
(The man with the magical hands. A skilled vocalist with a piano is an unstoppable force of beauty.)

Styx
(Power ballads and badassery. Their music is enough to give you the chills from the sheer awesomeness.)

Sparks
(How many bands do you know of who have released 22 studio albums and dipped into nearly every musical genre conceivable, with an endless amount of ideas and an absolute refusal to age? Seriously. Ron & Russell Mael deserve a lifetime achievement award.)

The Cramps
(Weird-ass punk pioneers. I can't describe them any other way.)

Patti Smith
(Godmother of punk/punk-poetry.)

Talking Heads
(More art rock, for your pleasure. Very comparable to Roxy Music, but a little more radio-friendly at times - especially in the united states, which would make the band a better candidate by default. Oddly.)

AC/DC
(Despite the untimely death of their leader, these guys continued to rock. They are amongst the most beloved rock groups, without a doubt.)

Giorgio Moroder
(More of a producer than an artist, Giorgio was responsible for the production of several great synth-drenched electronic albums of the 70s and 80s. This man is a genius.)

Madonna
(The pop princess, Material Girl. Amazing woman with a long, successful career and much to boast. Why shouldn't she be in the HOF?)

Billy Idol
(This man is a badass. His voice, style, and presence all made for an extremely marketable package.)

Morrissey/The Smiths
(Melancholy alternative rock. Moz and his boys set the standard. Sadly beautiful songwriting and clever quips. I just love Morrissey & The Smiths.)

Alright, that actually took me half an hour.

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
Most of the obvious choices have already been mentioned, but I will throw my vote for Heart. Before I get all lit up because of my avatar and posts, I must mention I thought this way ten years ago when I rarely even listened to a Heart album.

For so many people I know personally, or have read opinions of, there is the agreement that Heart is the first female fronted rock band that they could take seriously...and that is reason enough to let them in. For breaking down barriers for women in the rock industry, there is no group better than Heart.

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score
My first 15

Free: They were one of the first British Blues bands of the late 60's. They were really original especially for being so young when they started (all under 19 years old). 8 out of their 10 songs on their debut were originals. All Right Now was their biggest hit still remains one of the most played songs on rock radio. RIP Kossoff!

Led Zeppelin: They weren't as original as Free on their early records but they were masters at their respective instruments. They tried different musical styles and rocked hard doing so.

Alice Cooper: He has put out a lot of music and some of the best music I've ever heard in the early 70's with his band. His live shows were just amazing.

UFO: This band doesn't get enough love. They had epic guitar solos and great lyrics.

AC/DC: This band still puts out good music and that's rare for a band that's been around as long.

Bruce Springsteen: One of the greatest songwriters of all time.

Aerosmith: When I think of 70's rock this is the first band that comes to mind. Gritty, Raw, and Exciting is just the start with Aerosmith.

Jerry Lee Lewis: One of the greatest to ever play piano and a true pioneer to rock and roll music.

Black Sabbath: Pioneers of the metal movement.

Journey: One of the biggest bands of the 80's. Great guitar solos and big ballads.

Bad Company: Their debut is reason enough for me but just look at the rest of thier collection in the 70's to solidify the reasoning.

Lynyrd Skynyrd: These guys sounded like no other then or now. One of a kind band that people still try to immitate.

Def Leppard: Thier early records helped with the NWOBHM movement. Every song of their next two were hits.

Bob Seger: His albums are classics and music will always live on.

Elvis: I really don't need to say much here.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Here's what I've come up with for who I would pick so far. I may add more later...

Elvis Presley
Little Richard
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Fats Domino
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Kinks
Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company
Genesis
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
Cream
The Doors
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
The Yardbirds
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Emerson Lake and Palmer
Yes
Boston
Kansas
J. Geils Band
Rush
David Bowie
Alice Cooper
The Ramones
Queen
Thin Lizzy
AC/DC
Heart
Pat Benatar
Blondie
The Ramones
The Cars
Talking Heads
Devo
Split Enz
Crowded House
Def Leppard

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
Electric Light Orchestra
Genesis
Phil Collins
Buckner & Garcia
Billy Joel
Fleetwood Mac
The Doobie Brothers
The Spinners
Foreigner
The Cars
The Beatles
Paul McCartney & Wings
George Harrison
John Lennon
The J. Geils Band
The Alan Parsons Project
Billy Joel
Paul Simon
Chicago
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Journey
Three Dog Night
Joe South
Stevie Wonder
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Elton John
Chuck Berry
"Weird Al" Yankovic
The Doors
The Rolling Stones

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
My Rock Hall might not even have 30 entries in it yet. The Cleveland hall is very inclusive, except when it comes to certain genres. Me, I'd consider inducting Yes or Rush but I wouldn't induct a bunch of artists each year. My hall would be extremely exclusive. Because taste is so subjective, the more you include, the tricker it gets to assign value to subjective things. So I'd only put in the artists that are nearly indisputable, the artists that most of everyone can agree are essential to rock's history. The Beatles? You're in. Dylan? Ya, come on down. Sabbath? Okay, y'all invented metal. Pink Floyd? Hmmm...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online