aerozep

Reaction score
cream.jpg
Wiki Link

1966 – Fresh Cream
1967 – Disraeli Gears
1968 – Wheels of Fire
1969 – Goodbye

The inception of the band Cream was in July of 1966. Drummer Ginger Baker had been feeling increasingly stifled as part of the jazz fusion ensemble Graham Bond Organisation and had decided to leave and form a new band to pursue new directions. He happened to run across guitarist Eric Clapton who was feeling similarly confined within John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Ginger asked Eric if Eric would like to join up with him in a new band. Eric agreed, with the provisal that they include bassist Jack Bruce with whom Eric had played briefly in the Bluesbreakers. Ginger had previously feuded bitterly with Jack in the Graham Bond Organisation with the two having gone so far as sabotaging each other's equipment before Ginger ousted Jack from the band. Nonetheless, Ginger reluctantly agreed and the new power trio was formed.

All three fellows were well regarded in the U.K. at the time of the Cream's formation although it was Eric who had the most formidable reputation. They were, however, almost complete unknowns across the Atlantic including Eric who had left the Yardbirds before "For Your Love" had become a hit in North America. The three therefore had their work cut out for them if they wanted to make a splash across the Atlantic. They accordingly applied themselves diligently to the task with Ginger and Jack putting aside their differences and working together in relative harmony. It was also decided that Jack would be the lead singer.

The Cream's first album was released in December 1966. It featured mainly traditional blues covers such as "Spoonful" and "I'm So Glad" together with tracks composed by Jack such as "I Feel Free". It reached #6 on the U.K. charts but topped out at only #39 in the States.

Fresh Cream

41tcYwTwrGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Side One

"I Feel Free" (Jack Bruce, Pete Brown) - 2:53
"N.S.U." (Bruce) – 2:43
"Sleepy Time Time" (Bruce, Janet Godfrey) – 4:20
"Dreaming" (Bruce) – 1:58
"Sweet Wine" (Ginger Baker, Godfrey) – 3:17
"Spoonful" (Willie Dixon) – 6:30

Side Two

"Cat's Squirrel" (Traditional, arranged by S. Splurge) – 3:03
"Four Until Late" (Robert Johnson, arranged by Eric Clapton) – 2:07
"Rollin' and Tumblin'" (McKinley Morganfield) – 4:42
"I'm So Glad" (Skip James) – 3:57
"Toad" (Baker) – 5:11

(original text by Aerozep)
Next tuesday I will be going to see Cream at the garden in NYC...
Can't wait....they are only doing three shows in this country and I'm going to one of them.....YEAH BABY !!!
I'll let you all know how it goes.. :cool:
PEACE)

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: C R E A M

The Cream is one of my very favourite bands of all time. The Cream had almost as much influence on molding my musical tastes as did the Rolling Stones.

gingerbaker.jpg

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like Cream, but never was a really big fan, I only have two of their CD's on the shelf.;)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I loved Cream, and have gone on to follow the solo careers of Clapton, Baker, and Bruce as well. :gg:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

She walks like a bearded rainbow!

Although I've only got 21 songs from them, they're in my 20 most played bands according to last.fm. Awesome music!

ZSnowAngel

Zeppelin Fanatic
Reaction score

Tales of Brave Ulysses... best Cream song ever =)

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score

Absolutely fantastic group.

Crossroads is legendary, Sunshine of Your Love is amazing.

Saw Clapton live a few years ago, was a truly amazing gig. He opened with Crossroads, and it was completely awe-inspiring stuff, even these days.

Long live Slowhand.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

I agree, a most important group. All the four main albums contain some great blues rock and much more. It's a difficult choice, but my fav pick would probably be Fresh Cream. I've seen some of the footage from the reunion show and it's pretty damn good.

Saw Clapton in 83. He delivered the goods but I prefer his 70's solo era. I think Derek and the Dominos is a damn fine album. I only own Bruce's 2nd solo album, Songs For A Tailor. I rotate that one quite regularly. It's a gem. Recorded 6 months after the Cream breakup, It's a great mix of pop, jazz, folk, and rock, delivered in that oddball Jack Bruce way.

Ginger was brilliant, no question about his influence. Sometimes a mixed bag but I like his jazz stuff. Ginger really swings! No matter what he's playing - straight ahead rock, jazz, african - you know his style. His distinctive sound is quite something to hear. He can play it light or heavy.
But in the words of John Bonham, "he's always been a weird sort of a bloke".:heheh:

Saw a Jack Bruce and Ginger gig around xmas in 89 at Zivko's Ballroom. They were appearing with a couple of unknown guys in the band (or at least I wasn't familiar with them) on a midwest tour. It was a rockin' show. Solo material was balanced liberally with Cream tunes - and yes, Toad. It was terrific!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.