Cover Songs You Hate

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Literally butchered.

Bad Dylan covers make baby Jesus cry.

I'm listening to the original now right after the My Chemical Romance cover. I'd put the MCR cover under nothing special rather than bad but I'm surprisingly digging the original despite not being a huge Dylan fan. Just a thought though. If most people respect Dylan for his writing why would a different vocal, etc. be that much of an evil as long as they take the genius lyrics and give it another angle sonically. I'm one of those people who respect Dylan but most times prefer the covers of his work.

This is one cover I really dig of his. Knowing this group this is definitely done out of respect to his work rather than trying to capitalize on great material and market it to a younger audience! Tell me what you think! I won't cry! :wa :heheh:

Straylight Run-With God On Our Side
(real running time 6:15)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I'm listening to the original now right after the My Chemical Romance cover. I'd put the MCR cover under nothing special rather than bad but I'm surprisingly digging the original despite not being a huge Dylan fan. Just a thought though. If most people respect Dylan for his writing why would a different vocal, etc. be that much of an evil as long as they take the genius lyrics and give it another angle sonically. I'm one of those people who respect Dylan but most times prefer the covers of his work.

Yes I support that. I really love the Dylan original. It's one of my favorite songs by him. The My Chem version is....forgettable.

Just a side thought, do you suppose it'd be easier to list the artist who have not covered Dylan rather than the ones that have? :think:

SchindlerHaughton

Reaction score
Madonna - American Pie
Really not a song that Madonna should be covering.

Celine Dion - You Shook Me All Night Long
That was just bad.

Any Guns 'N' Roses Cover
Axl is good at singing his own songs, that's about it.

Britney Spears - Satisfaction
See Madonna.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
I know that I'm in a minority here, but I love Dylan's voice, particularly in the mid-60's period which produced 'Desolation Row', not just his lyrics. I'd rather hear him sing his own songs any day. Besides, when a band cuts out 7 verses, it's hard to give them credit for respecting the song's lyrical prowess.

The other issue I have with this song is that it ruined the almost perfect soundtrack for the movie Watchmen.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I know that I'm in a minority here, but I love Dylan's voice, particularly in the mid-60's period which produced 'Desolation Row', not just his lyrics. I'd rather hear him sing his own songs any day. Besides, when a band cuts out 7 verses, it's hard to give them credit for respecting the song's lyrical prowess.

The other issue I have with this song is that it ruined the almost perfect soundtrack for the movie Watchmen.

Cool! Thanks for giving me actual points rather than going off the deep end! :heheh: We are pretty much in the same position though. Try being a Smashing Pumpkins fan and telling people you love Billy Corgan's vocals and no other vocalist could fit that band. I didn't know MCR cut out a huge portion of that song! That's kind of inappropriate especially since it wasn't really done for an artistic purpose seemingly but rather to make it condensed and catchier.

By the way, you never told me if you thought the Dylan cover I posted sucked! That bad, hey? :peek JK! :lmao:

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Oh, my computer loads youtube videos painfully slow, so I haven't actually gotten to watch it yet.

But, yeah, the original is 11 minutes long and has 10 verses, while MCR's is 3 minutes with 3 verses. Clearly they were just trying to get a single out of it.

I like some Pumpkins songs. Especially that song Disarm. My parents loved them when I was a kid, so their music was always in the background when I was growing up.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Oh, my computer loads youtube videos painfully slow, so I haven't actually gotten to watch it yet.

But, yeah, the original is 11 minutes long and has 10 verses, while MCR's is 3 minutes with 3 verses. Clearly they were just trying to get a single out of it.

I like some Pumpkins songs. Especially that song Disarm. My parents loved them when I was a kid, so their music was always in the background when I was growing up.

No problem man! :heheh: You ever use grooveshark! It's free audio and might work better for you!

For MCR, I like a good share of stuff from them and a cover from them is rare so they don't overdo it anyway. Maybe the Dylan cover was just part of the Punk ethos of simplifying things. I've heard a number of good covers that just got to the meat of the song and it worked. Not saying the MCR one worked but I can forgive them easily! :)

Yeah, I'd say look deeper into them but I'd be a hypocrite since I only know select Dylan songs as well. Both have a huge unpredictable catalog of material though! :grinthumb

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Listening to it right now, it's a very good cover of a song that I've never paid much attention to (it's just so long and political, hahaha). I like it, though. They update some of the lyrics, and it really works, which is something you rarely see.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online